Mercruiser 170 Gen 1 Alpha One Sterndrive Question

hunter22375

Recruit
I am very new to boats and I am considering buying a project deckboat with a Mercruiser 170 Gen 1 Alpha One Sterndrive and a outdrive ratio of 1.84. Its a 1986 year and the block (possibly the head as well) is bad. I was wondering if I cannot find a used duplicate motor....what other options do I have for replacements. I don't have the cash right now to buy a new short block or whole motor so I need options for what used motors I can find to work with.

Sorry if I left out important info....again, I am very new to this. Thanks.

Mark

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser 170 Gen 1 Alpha One Sterndrive Question

I am very new to boats and I am considering buying a project deckboat with a Mercruiser 170 Gen 1 Alpha One Sterndrive and a outdrive ratio of 1.84. Its a 1986 year and the block (possibly the head as well) is bad. I was wondering if I cannot find a used duplicate motor....what other options do I have for replacements. I don't have the cash right now to buy a new short block or whole motor so I need options for what used motors I can find to work with.

Sorry if I left out important info....again, I am very new to this. Thanks.

Mark

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard Mark,... Don't buy the 470,...

You'd need to buy a 2nd junk boat to get all the parts to stuff another different motor into that 1,...

The 470 is a mongrel half-breed that Mercruiser has been tryin' to Forget for decades,...
It's Most common part number is NLA,...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

+1 for what Bondo said. Find a boat with either a 4.3 V6 or a V8... Try to stay away from a 470 (aka 165, 170, 180, 185, 485, 488, 190, 3.7L, 3.7LX)....

Chris.......

hunter22375

Recruit

Thanks guys. I ended up turning down the boat anyways. It had WAY more issues than were mentioned initially. :)