Favorite years/generations of OMC outboards.

KDewees91

Cadet
Explain why. Could be design, reliability, etc...

Me personally I'd have to say the 86' through 91 models.

Easy to work on plus never had a hiccup on the water with em'

kfa4303

Banned
Re: Favorite years/generations of OMC outboards.

Hi K. I'll vote for virtually any OMC model from the mid 50's through the mid 70's. You can literally fix anything on them with a flathead screwdriver and a 7/16 wrench. No electronics to go on the fritz, or become obsolete either. Just good 'ol fashioned mechanical power. Best of all, parts are still readily available and pretty dang cheap. Plus, they look super cool, which is all that really matters :) My favorite is a '58 model Johnson with the reverse red/cream two tone paint job. When I'm rich and famous I'd like to get a nice brand new, 30hp, white, Etec, but I'd have to sell a kidney to afford one.

KDewees91

Cadet

I agree they are an arm and a leg for a new Etec. But you can't kill the old OMC's. I've dropped my '91 Johnson 9.9 in the river on accident. And after running rubbing alcohol and MMO through it, it always started on the second pull

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

Hi K. I'll vote for virtually any OMC model from the mid 50's through the mid 70's. You can literally fix anything on them with a flathead screwdriver and a 7/16 wrench. No electronics to go on the fritz, or become obsolete either. Just good 'ol fashioned mechanical power. Best of all, parts are still readily available and pretty dang cheap. QUOTE]

OMC started using Electronic ignition in the mid 60s. Obsolescence was a yearly thing on those Ignition systems. As for parts easy and cheap to find... you obviously haven't tried getting parts for the electric and hydro-electric gearcases

kfa4303

Banned

Yeah, I guess I was referring to the smaller hp OMC motors <50hp which generally used the OMC "universal magneto" (points/condensers) until the early/mid '70s and relatively simple gears, clutch dogs notwithstanding. Thankfully, I've never had to deal with the dreaded Selectric shift, or any of the various electronic ignitions.....yet. I hear they can be a nightmare, especially on the wallet.