Moving a gutted boat

hockynut2

Cadet
I was just given a 89 four winns and need to trailer it home about 5 hr thruway trip and it has been gutted of all the floor of most of the stringers and was looking for tips to support it for a safe trip. Any ideas?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Moving a gutted boat

Welcome aboard. If the cap is still on and attached you should be OK.

If the cap is off, the hull will need support. Some 2X4s from side to side and long screws or lag bolts through the cap mounting holes will do the trick. Use some small plywood pieces on the outside of the hull for "washers" and minimizing marring of the hull. Or just put the cap back on as a temporary measure.

haulnazz15

Captain

Find the nearest city dump and pay the $30-50 to get rid of the boat hull. Tow the trailer home.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Oh come on guys...what type of response is that? I know such things are a money pit, but maybe the OP is wanting such a challenge... Everybody need to do it at least once in their life... I get excited knowing the finished project will be all my design and built. Okay that isn't much help either... Carry on! :facepalm:

haulnazz15

Captain

Oh come on guys...what type of response is that? I know such things are a money pit, but maybe the OP is wanting such a challenge... Everybody need to do it at least once in their life... I get excited knowing the finished project will be all my design and built. Okay that isn't much help either... Carry on! :facepalm:

Sorry, but when he says it was "given to him", it just sounds like he is offloading someone else's junk. An 89 Four Winns isn't exactly a collectors item, so it's not likely worth the money to install the stringers/floor/transom/electrical/drivetrain/etc. You'd end up with a minimum of $3-4K in it if he does all of the work himself, not including the 100's of hours of his personal time invested when he could just take that amount and find an 89 Four Winns in decent shape and go boating.

UncleWillie

Captain

And before you even think about taking it home and spending even a dime;
Make sure the Boat and Trailer Titles have been transfered into YOUR name.

Otherwise you will POSSES it but not OWN it.
Without a Title; No Registration! No Registration?, You can't take it out of the Yard.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

take a sawzall and cut it into small enough pieces to haul it in the bed of your truck.

hockynut2

Cadet

Thank you GA boater... for everyone else if you don't have a real response stay off this thread. I'm aware this isn't a collectors item but I am fixing it up for a relative of mine. I restore classic cars and older boats but have never transferred one this far to my garage. I have a few thoughts but I was merely looking for other input to ensure I don't make more work for myself.

Willyclay

Captain

Just the empty hull can still create a problem while towing due to possible excessive tongue weight on the trailer hitch. Without an engine of any type aft, the fiberglass can still be pretty heavy forward depending on the size of the boat. I have used water tanks for ballast in the same situation. If you can easily lift the trailer tongue, it's probably okay. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Last edited:

UncleWillie

Captain

You are getting Real Responses.
All we know is you were given a 89 Four Winns in very Bad condition.
Better answers will require more information.

What size is the boat?
Cabin or Open bow?
Is the Engine still in it?
Bunks or Rollers on the trailer?
One ore Two Axles.
Pictures?

And if you do not already have the Title, Restoring the Boat may be the easy part.
In some states it can take from Years to Never for it to happen.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Thank you GA boater... for everyone else if you don't have a real response stay off this thread. I'm aware this isn't a collectors item but I am fixing it up for a relative of mine. I restore classic cars and older boats but have never transferred one this far to my garage. I have a few thoughts but I was merely looking for other input to ensure I don't make more work for myself.

Ha "hockynut2" I defended your boating ideas. If you want such a project who should condemn them for whatever reason. I see most everything as refurbishable...not too money conscience I will admit but doable all the same if I want too... Either way you decide, please do post lots of pictures here to show your progress. I know I will watch and comment and even give helpful suggestions if I know the answer(s)...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

does the boat have a title, if not, then sawzall and a garbage can. as has been stated many times in this thread and many more. no title, no registration. no registration, no ownership.

you mention that you are fixing the boat for a relative, while this can be a noble endeavor, I do caution you. The last time I did that, I made it clear that they were to pay for materials, incidentals, and at least $10 per hour for the labor. It was agreed upon. in a bit over a month I had $3k of my money and 80 hours of labor invested in a boat that my relative had no intention on paying.

now on to the assumption that the boat has some sentimental value, will not cause family drama, and you really want to move it 5 hours.

if the cap is off, re-install the cap. This is a must. and dont just set it on, or we will be reading about a boat cap coming off in traffic. use all the screws. This is to transport the cap, ensure the hull doesnt flex and buckle from wind load and trailer loading

brace the boat on the trailer with thru-bolted 2x6's, and 2x4's guessing about $100 in wood, screws, and bolts at a minimum. This is to ensure the boat (now without stringers, deck and other hull supports) is supported.

if its 19' and shorter buy 2 rolls of duct tape and at least 3 bags of play sand. this will be to adjust the trailer tongue weight. you need 10% of the towed load as tongue weight to tow properly, and since the boat is gutted, its much lighter now

if its longer than 24', you will need more duct tape and play sand.

make sure the trailer lights work, make sure the bearings are ok. since you have 2 5 hour drives, and a bit of prep time securing the boat, I suggest either a really early start to the day, or make it a 2 day affair.

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I see that what you are doing has actually a purpose and reason behind it. If it were me, I would secure it to the trailer just like it was a complete boat and maybe toss a couple of load straps over her to the trailer, if you are unsure. If the hull cap (top part of the boat) is still attached, should be a no brainer and haul it as normal. More weight on the tongue (motor missing) is better than less weight. Have towed a few with no engine / drive and haven't had any problems at all. Just make sure trailer lighting, wheel bearings and tires are in good shape and brakes (if equipped) are in operating condition..

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Rereading again, if this hull is indeed gutted, then it will most likely be a little flimsy at best because of lost support. So like GA_boater suggested, attach some cross supports (2 x 4's would work) in a few places at the edge of the top and use long screws with some type washer to secure them from tearing out while trailering. Also a few hold down straps is always a great option too. But I don't see much more needed... And don't be discouraged by the Nay-Sayers on here. I though these forums were supposed to be supportive regardless what others thought about the project... Different people have different wishes, ideas and projects... Pointing out costs and possible problems is one thing. Telling people to cut up their boat (project) and take it to the nearest dump is entirely another discouraging issue.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think what we are all trying to say is while your trailering endeavor is doable with additional time and money just to move it you could buy a totally crap hull just like it close to home and not spend all that money and time on gas and structure to support it. Although it sounds like smart*** comments we are really just trying to help.