1956 Evinrude Fisherman 5.5 HP control knobs?

cldardeniii

Cadet
I have a 1956 Evinrude Fisherman 5.5 HP model 5512 and it is missing one of the control knobs. I think it is the slow speed control knob but cannot find a decent image of it to know exactly what it controls and what I need to get to replace it. Anyone have a good image of the knobs out there? Thanks for looking.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1956 Evinrude Fisherman 5.5 HP control knobs?

The top needle valve is the slow speed adjustment... the bottom one is the high speed adjustment.

(Carburetor Adjustments - Two Adjustable N/Vs)
(J. Reeves)

Initial settings are: Bottom high speed = seat gently, then open 1 turn out. Top slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Setting the high and low needle valves properly:

NOTE: For engines that DO NOT have a shift selection, obviously there is no NEUTRAL position. Simply lower the rpms to the lowest setting to obtain the low speed needle valve adjustment.

(High Speed) Start engine (it will run pretty rough), shift into forward gear, take up to full throttle. In segments of 1/8 turn, waiting for the engine to respond between turns, start turning in the bottom high speed needle valve. You'll reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the needle valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest setting.

(Low Speed) Slow the engine down to where it just stays running. Shift into neutral. Again in segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the top needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back. Again, at that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustments, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

cldardeniii

Cadet

The top needle valve is the slow speed adjustment... the bottom one is the high speed adjustment.

(Carburetor Adjustments - Two Adjustable N/Vs)
(J. Reeves)

Initial settings are: Bottom high speed = seat gently, then open 1 turn out. Top slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Setting the high and low needle valves properly:

NOTE: For engines that DO NOT have a shift selection, obviously there is no NEUTRAL position. Simply lower the rpms to the lowest setting to obtain the low speed needle valve adjustment.

(High Speed) Start engine (it will run pretty rough), shift into forward gear, take up to full throttle. In segments of 1/8 turn, waiting for the engine to respond between turns, start turning in the bottom high speed needle valve. You'll reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the needle valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest setting.

(Low Speed) Slow the engine down to where it just stays running. Shift into neutral. Again in segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the top needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back. Again, at that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustments, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

Thanks for the details. They are most helpful and I will definately use them. I want to replace the knob that I am missing. Do you know of a place that may have something like this for sale or do you think I am doomed to search the auction sites?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I looked thru my books but unfortunately I don't have the parts book on that model. I'd suggest that you check with dealerships and non dealership outboard repair shops as there are many different type knobs you could install on that needle valve. Of course it you're restoring the engine to its original condition, that's another matter.

cldardeniii

Cadet

Thanks again Joe. I really appreciate your help.

nwcove

Admiral

google doug penn, he should have what you need. ( if the screw isnt still in the needle get that also as not just any screw will work properly)

dodger7847

Seaman

I have a 1955 3hp evinrude dores it have the same as the diagram shown , thankyou.

dodger7847

Seaman

I have a 1955 3hp evinrude, dont know if its the same but if you want i will take pictures and forward them to you if that will help.