88 omc 2.3 fuel pump

madclout

Cadet
i have now had my boat out on the water twice with no major hiccups. It seemed to pop a little at the carb when i was at WOT. I decided i would put some new spark plugs in and change the fuel filters just to see if it helped. I pulled the filter at the carb and it looked like it was brand new. I reinstalled it and now the boat will not start. I filled the carb bowl with fuel and it would run for just a few seconds then sputter and die. I pulled the line at the carb again and cranked it over and I am now getting no fuel to the carb. Am I looking at a new fuel pump? or is there something else I can test? is there a way to rebuild the pump? I cant find any aftermarket fuel pumps and would hate to shell out $300 for an OEM pump. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: 88 omc 2.3 fuel pump

take the line back off at the carb, run a piece of hose off the end overboard into a pail or point it back into the fuel tank filler neck, crank the engine and see if fuel shoots out.

madclout

Cadet

I will give that a shot. Also, I noticed that the fuel water seperator is still OMC brand. Im guessing its very old. I ordered a new part and will replace the old one but can this be plugged enough to keep fuel from being pulled from the tank? Is there a vent/anti-siphon valve somewhere that could have failed and is there any way to check that? Thanks again!

madclout

Cadet

ok. I got the boat running. I installed the new fuel water seperator (it was full of nasty gunk). Now it idles but seems to idle very rough, low. I had it on the muffs so i didnt leave it running for long. I assume with the stuff in the filter that it was starving for fuel and that could be why it ran lean at WOT. I am going to try and get it out on the water and i will report back tomorrow with the results. Thanks again fo the help

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

is this a new-to-you boat? If so, start with a compression test, and as you pull the spark plugs out inspect for any evidence of water in the cylinders (riser gasket issue) etc. Do a full ignition tune up (points, cap, rotor, plugs) if comp test ok. Check the ESA system/shift cable function. Could check for melted/ displaced water shutter (flapper) in the exhaust regarding full load power issue too.

Last edited:

madclout

Cadet

is this a new-to-you boat? If so, start with a compression test, and as you pull the spark plugs out inspect for any evidence of water in the cylinders (riser gasket issue) etc. Do a full ignition tune up (points, cap, rotor, plugs) if comp test ok. Check the ESA system/shift cable function. Could check for melted/ displaced water shutter (flapper) in the exhaust regarding full load power issue too.

How do I check the flapper and ESA?

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

I would look on ebay for the factory manual for your year, or buy one from outboardbooks.com. Messing with the ESA and shift system can cause a lower unit failure if all measurements aren't done by the book, and every year and model has different specs.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

to look at flapper, remove exhaust riser and boot to exhaust pipe and see if it is still in there. sits in the top of the downpipe.