Leaks after running aground

MelloYello

Cadet
Hello, all.

Brand new to the forum, but this is our 5th year with a Q5i. I have had zero problems with this boat and I?ve taken really good care of it. Sadly, last week I hit a submerged rock ledge. I was only going about 5-7 MPH. There is no change to the sound, vibration, or performance of the boat even at speed, and I see only the usual nicks and abrasions on the outdrive and skeg.

However?I now have to pump out about a half gallon of bilge water every hour or so, where I had yet to pump out a drop since I got the boat in late 2009.

I know it?s impossible to troubleshoot something like this over a forum, but I?m wondering if any of you have had the same thing happen and what you found. It might give me a place to start other than just putting it back in the water and standing on my head in the engine compartment with a flashlight.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Leaks after running aground

I assume no damage to hull. Put the plug in, tilt the boat as high as possible on the trailer, then fill the bilge with water as much as you can without getting the starter, trim pump, or bellows wet. Look for water leaking out. Otherwise have someone hold your feet while looking with a flashlight while it is strapped to the trailer at the ramp. Back it in as far as possible and be sure to check with the drive up and down.

MelloYello

Cadet

I assume no damage to hull. Put the plug in, tilt the boat as high as possible on the trailer, then fill the bilge with water as much as you can without getting the starter, trim pump, or bellows wet. Look for water leaking out. Otherwise have someone hold your feet while looking with a flashlight while it is strapped to the trailer at the ramp. Back it in as far as possible and be sure to check with the drive up and down.

Your assumption is correct unless the damage is underneath the trailer skids.

I was wondering if the "driveway test" you described would work. I think I will try that before hauling it back down to the water. Thanks.

MelloYello

Cadet

Well, the driveway test resulted in nothing. I guess it's time to put it back in the water and go motor diving.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

Sad to hear about the damage. I would do the driveway test also. Did the lower unit hit as well? Maybe there is damage there. Can you post some pics of the damage.

Last edited:

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry to hear about your damage..I think about it all the time when I am at a lake and see some rocks protruding out of the water. Some lakes do not have them marked when they are a potential hazard.

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

if you havn't you might want to post this in the main forum (not sure where...) - some people might not see this if they look at specific forum areas.

I would recommend going to the launch on a not-busy day and pull the boat in/out of the water a few times with the winch strap at different amounts of strap 'let out. So you can make sure you can see all parts of the hull (just to be sure).

I would also consider doing the UV trick... put some dyed water inside boat....drive around roughly on trailer, then go into garage with lights off and a UV flashlight 6-(8$ on amazon) - i think some soaps are also UV reactive.

Driveway test doesn't do as much 'flexing' and no 'driving pressure' from the boat going 30-40mph.

Otherwise try running it on Muffs for a while in the driveway and you might be able to spot a drip/leak somewhere in the engine area.

Last edited:

MelloYello

Cadet

Thanks, all.

I didn't post pictures because there is no visible damage. I did not see anything unusual, just the normal nicks and dings on the outdrive.