Livewell questions

miskusfish

Recruit
I just bought a 1987 Bullet Bass boat and was a bit confused about the livewell. It's a beautiful thing but I am unfamiliar with them. The livewell will not drain and came with plugs that are too small for the holes. There are two holes in the tank and a few by the boat drain plug in the back. I tried to push air through the holes with an air compressor but didn't have any luck in getting it to drain. Any ideas?

Also, my boat takes on a lot of water. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to plug the holes in the back by the motor. Does anyone know?

The aerator works well but will this pump water from the lake into the livewell? I don't want to do that since the baitfish that I'm using are very sensitive and need very cold water.

Thanks so much for any help that you can give!

P.S. I've attached pictures

Attachments

• IMG_0169.jpg
    IMG_0169.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0170.jpg
    IMG_0170.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0171.jpg
    IMG_0171.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0172.jpg
    IMG_0172.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0173.jpg
    IMG_0173.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 0

chris04008

Cadet
Re: Livewell questions

Since no one else has posted I will try to give you the correct advice. It looks to me that you only have two holes in your live well. One hole if for the fill and the other is the drain. on the upper hole that is your water inlet. there should be a levewell pump on the left hole on the transom. Check the fitting on the pump to ensure they are tight and you have tight hose clamps connecting the hose to the pump. (you should double hose clamp anything that is below the water line. Second hole is your drain and this should also have two clamps holding the hose. you should be able to put the drain plug inside the live well to prevent water from filling the livewell through this hole.

I want to add that you should have an additional drain in livewell near the top to allow circulation of water. You want to be able to add new water and let some drain off as it fills. this drain needs to be a through hull but above/near the water line. you dont want it too high as it will splash as it drains and scare fish.

I would take all fitting out and reseal with 3m 5200 to ensure they are good and always put a plug in the middle hole. good luck.