Monterey M3 with a weird one

2010 M3 with a PCM engine. Customer called me to go for a ride and listen to this weird noise and vibration the other day. I climbed on the boat and from about 2000 to 3500 rpm (the best way I can describe it) it sounds like a wiffle ball going through the air or a "flutter" if you will.

I didn't feel any vibrations and the noise sounds like it is coming from the front of the engine. My first thought was the direct drive shaft bearing but it feels OK and doesn't indicate any issues. I then thought maybe the exhaust had come apart on the inside or melt and cause exhaust back pressure issues as well as make noises. No such luck here. I did notice that the prop does have a little damage, could this cause a vibration that would make this noise? The damage to the prop is pretty insignificant but I am not used to working on direct drive boats.

I also pulled the belf off and spun through all of the pulleys just to insure there was not a bearing issue. Thanks in advance for the help!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Monterey M3 with a weird one

2010 M3 with a PCM engine. Customer called me to go for a ride and listen to this weird noise and vibration the other day. I climbed on the boat and from about 2000 to 3500 rpm (the best way I can describe it) it sounds like a wiffle ball going through the air or a "flutter" if you will.

I didn't feel any vibrations and the noise sounds like it is coming from the front of the engine. My first thought was the direct drive shaft bearing but it feels OK and doesn't indicate any issues. I then thought maybe the exhaust had come apart on the inside or melt and cause exhaust back pressure issues as well as make noises. No such luck here. I did notice that the prop does have a little damage, could this cause a vibration that would make this noise? The damage to the prop is pretty insignificant but I am not used to working on direct drive boats.

I also pulled the belf off and spun through all of the pulleys just to insure there was not a bearing issue. Thanks in advance for the help!

Ayuh,.... Prop damage is prop damage that needs dealin' with,...

Vibrations, 'n harmonics in boat hulls can drive ya Crazy sometimes,...

How's the driveline Alignment,..??