1973 85hp Evinrude lower unit

Jfuller3

Cadet
I need help dropping my lower unit so I can replace my waterpump.

We have disconnected all six bolts (started with 4, found the 5th and then the 6th after a very frustrating hour or two), disconnected the arm on the shift rod, and the lower unit drops about half an inch or so. I'm all but certain it was in neutral, I know we tried it in reverse as well.

I know this question has been asked a million times before, but I am at a loss. Should I start trying to force it? I have no idea when the last time someone has taken off the lower unit, I only got this boat 3 or 4 years ago. Is there anything more to do to the shift rod besides separating those arms and releasing it?

Thanks in advance

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1973 85hp Evinrude lower unit

I'm assuming that you have completely removed those two shift linkage arms from the top barrel of the shift rod. If not, do so.

And that top barrel... make sure that when reinstalling that it has the nylon bushing installed, otherwise it will be impossible to adjust the shift properly.

If the lower unit dropped that 1/2" of its own accord when you remove the last lower unit retaining bolt, then I'd say that the shift rod is still hooked onto something.

If on the other hand, the lower unit had to be forced down that 1/2", then I'd suspect that the driveshaft splines are frozen/rusted within the crankshaft splines due to someone not greasing the top driveshaft splines or/and not installing the top driveshaft O Ring. If this is the case, you're faced with a hellava job.

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you're sure the shift linkage is disconnected you could try driving some wooden wedges in the gap and see what happens. As Joe said, the driveshaft could be stuck in the crankshaft splines.

Jfuller3

Cadet

Yeah, it drops that half inch on its own and the rod is completely separated from the arm. I might have to try those wedges. Any guess what the rod might be stopped on? I'm guessing it isn't the driveshaft, since it doesn't have to be forced down like you all talked about.

Thanks for your help guys. I know next to nothing about this stuff, but its fun to learn. I really hope I can get this boat in the water.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

look under the hood pan in the area where the shift rod barrel would be to see if the bottom of the barrel might be hanging up on the steering tube edge. I've never seen that happen... but there's always a first time.