Drive trims down, clicks when I try to trim up or trailer up

whortwi

Recruit
I know that there have been numerous threads regarding trim problems, but I have not found my specific answer yet. I have a 2001 Bayliner (3.0 Mercruiser Alpha One-Serial No. 0M028319). Trim was working fine, but I just replaced the slave solenoid (which fixed my ignition problem) and now the drive will only trim down and there is an audible click when I try to trim up or trailer up. After troubleshooting, I am reasonably certain that I need a new trim up solenoid. My question is, if I replace the up solenoid, will it also fix the trailer up problem? Thanks in advance.

chimmike

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Drive trims down, clicks when I try to trim up or trailer up

First thing I'd recommend is clean all the contacts with a wire brush. That's basically how my trim went from silent to 100% functional!
Then, check all wire connections. You can pretty much follow that diagram and follow the wires up to the throttle control. Any connections along the way, make sure they're tight, or take 'em apart and clean 'em/blow 'em out.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Drive trims down, clicks when I try to trim up or trailer up

It is pretty easy to test the power transfer of the up solenoid. I had this happen in my Merc 1 drive. The solenoid clicked but did not transfer the juice to the outlet stud. I ended up drilling the rivets on the solenoid. The inside looked amazingly clean. The innards of the solenoid are very simple. It was hard to see why it would not work. I lightly sanded down the contact surfaces and reassembled the solenoid with some little machine screws and nuts.

It still did not work. I took it apart again and chucked up the armature in my battery screw gun. I slathered the surfaces with some valve grinding compound and spun the armature around. I cleaned off the compound, reassembled the solenoid and budda bing. Up went the drive.

In the mean time I had ordered a new solenoid. Now I have a spare in the event I ever need it. It was not easy to identify which solenoid was necessary. Many of them look identical but have different functions for the different terminals. The Sierra part # is 18-5836

Last edited:

vanzant

Recruit
trim question to Mr. Mariner

trim question to Mr. Mariner

Mr. Mariner or any one familiar with A1G2 trim problems.

I have a 1992 VIP 18'-3" fish and ski-mercruiser 4.3L Alpha1 gen2 PowerTrim XD.
I have similar problem-I wanted to be sure I understood your thread from July 12, about cleaning the armature-so you concluded that the dirty armature inside the solenoid was the culprit?-just asking.
Basicaly the trim up and trim down and trailer swich all click-but nothing happens.
I'm new to this-sorry for the dumb questions-but-Is it difficult to remove the entire solenoid aassembly so that it can be
worked on outside of the boat?. I don't see how any serious detailed work could be done on it while attached in engine compartment-very cramped area in my boat. I have cleaned the 2 or 3 main large stud connections(up and down) that I can get to inside the compartment. There are many other connections mentioned that I would like to get to. -Or -do you remove a single up or down solenoid-I can't tell if these are removable componnets of an assembly-or all one unit, in it's current location within the compartment. Also-not eaxactly where to locate trim limiter switch assembly-I have the troubleshooting chart-but see no device that resemble this on my boat-I'm sure I am looking in the wrong place-any chance it is behind the throttle lever assembly, or on the outdrive itself, attached to the trim motor somewhere?. The 20A fuse at the solenoid is good, I get/read 13volts when I jump from the center post to either of the solenoids-but nothing from solinoid to solinoid. I can disconnect the the blue/up wire from it's terminal, and connect it only to the green/down terminal, then hit the down trim button, and the outdrive raises all the way. I have pushed the 50A circuit breaker reset button-nothing happens, it was not popped out anyway.
any help appreciated.-thank you RV