1983 115 hp mercury

bigpoppakdog

Chief Petty Officer
I've been an evinrude guy on this board for about 5 years. Just recently had to retire my 1970 rude. Upgraded to a 1983 115 hp mercury. Compression was 125 across all 6. Coils were checked and replaced for those that needed it. fuel lines from tank to motor are new. Motor starts up great, idles great in the water and has a great hole shot. Only issue is the engine sputt, sputt, sputters, then dies when just put in gear at super slow speed as you approach the dock/boat ramp. Have a tough time getting it started after it dies. I've tried to push the choke in when it's sputtering and also pushing on the fuel bulb. The bulb thing did nothing. The choke caused it to stall even faster. Again, idle is great, as soon as you pass that first 1/8 or so on the throttle when in gear there is no stall. No problem going from idle in neutral to full cracked throttle. Just a stall a short time after put in gear.

Yesterday

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1983 115 hp mercury

I've been an evinrude guy on this board for about 5 years. Just recently had to retire my 1970 rude. Upgraded to a 1983 115 hp mercury. Compression was 125 across all 6. Coils were checked and replaced for those that needed it. fuel lines from tank to motor are new. Motor starts up great, idles great in the water and has a great hole shot. Only issue is the engine sputt, sputt, sputters, then dies when just put in gear at super slow speed as you approach the dock/boat ramp. Have a tough time getting it started after it dies. I've tried to push the choke in when it's sputtering and also pushing on the fuel bulb. The bulb thing did nothing. The choke caused it to stall even faster. Again, idle is great, as soon as you pass that first 1/8 or so on the throttle when in gear there is no stall. No problem going from idle in neutral to full cracked throttle. Just a stall a short time after put in gear.

I was experiencing similar until I discovered my inlet valves in the carb bowls were bypassing. At low revs it was essentially flooding out, not to mention dumping some fuel. Your scenario may be different, but worth looking into. Does the primer bulb get hard and prevent further pumping when the bowls are full? Mine seemed like they were, but there was still a little bit of give, always.

bigpoppakdog

Chief Petty Officer

I was experiencing similar until I discovered my inlet valves in the carb bowls were bypassing. At low revs it was essentially flooding out, not to mention dumping some fuel. Your scenario may be different, but worth looking into. Does the primer bulb get hard and prevent further pumping when the bowls are full? Mine seemed like they were, but there was still a little bit of give, always.

Yes bulb gets hard when bowls get full.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

There is an idle stabilizer on the engine it is supposed to keep the engine from stalling out under some circumstances by advancing the timing a few degree.. if it goes wonky it can allow the engine to stall. A lot of people just disconnect them and reset the idle speed a tiny bit(30-40 rpm) higher than spec. On my 1984 115 it was located in front of the carbs on the front cowl support. Disconnect it and see what happens