1999 Mercury/Force 40hp

kenawell1

Cadet
Hello,
I just got a 1999 mercury/force 40 hp elpt.

I currently have a nissian control box and cables connected to a nissan 25 hp. I will be trading the nissan out and putting the 40 hp on. I will need help/understanding what exactly I can use that i currently have and what I will need to change for the switch. Both motors are elec start. The 40hp has tilt/trim. My Control box Does Not have the switch for tilt/trim, It Does have the spot to install a button.
I'm sure I will need help figuring out the parts so I want to thank everyone who helps!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1999 Mercury/Force 40hp

Not positive but the shifter probably won't work.
The nissan would have a different, throw or push.
Probably need different connectors too.
I believe the later years of Forces used the Mercury control.
E-bay just don't order one from the older models.

kenawell1

Cadet

I didnt think about the throw or push? I figured the made a connector at the motor end of cable or control end? So does a newer aftermarket control have adjustment for the throw/push? Would I have to buy cables for a merc or force? I also think ill need another drag link. the faceplate or whatever its called for the drag link hookup is already on the motor. This year motor has the round style wire plug.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You need the appropriate drag-link for the steering.
A control box for the late model Force motors.
2 new control cables.
The engine wiring harness.
And an ignition switch if it is not provided with the control box.

kenawell1

Cadet

One question are the drag links hp specific? What brand controls work? Will a universal not work?
Also what cables? Does it depend on controls??

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

One question are the drag links hp specific? What brand controls work? Will a universal not work?
Also what cables? Does it depend on controls??

some motors require specific drag-links, length and shape to reach from cable end to motor mount must match

universal controls will work, if they really are universal

then you need to find cables that will match the "universal" controls, and you motor.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

If it says "universal" it usually means that it's gonna be a PITA to hook up. Get the Mercury control and the mercury cables.
Post a pic of the drag link and a pic of the front of the motor where the steering goes through.
Mercury/Force used the same link for the 40-50
Mecury sells one.It's like 135$ I might have one, or you might be able to use the old?

kenawell1

Cadet

Jerry
Do you have one for sale? I would like the merc control aNd cables. It's just confusing what fits what.. I don't have motor yet I have to go pick it up. I should watch ebay for the drag link.. if u have any of the parts I need let me know..

Last edited:

kenawell1

Cadet

Ok, UPDATE!
Got motor and was surprised to get two cables and the drag link. Everything is hooked up. I found a mercury control looks great and works great! I have a question about the tach. On the back of tach there is several different settings. I was wondering if anyone knows witch setting is correct? First setting tach was way off, I am in process of trying next couple settings next outing. Just wondering what someone else found? Also I couldn't find anything about motor that speaks of props. I've read some about diameter and pitch, but still wondering about this motor?