salvaging engine block

Thuffjr

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well today I completely tore down my 87 3.0. I have a large horizontal crack that seems like its only in the water passage. My # 3 cylinder was rusted so I know i had water intrusion but no water in oil pan and cam and crank shaft look good no water damage. I found a guy that says he can lock n stitch the crack for under 200. I can only find bare blocks in CA for 300+ plus freight. My question is. Is it worth doing the lock n stitch and then building the motor?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: salvaging engine block

Well today I completely tore down my 87 3.0. I have a large horizontal crack that seems like its only in the water passage. My # 3 cylinder was rusted so I know i had water intrusion but no water in oil pan and cam and crank shaft look good no water damage. I found a guy that says he can lock n stitch the crack for under 200. I can only find bare blocks in CA for 300+ plus freight. My question is. Is it worth doing the lock n stitch and then building the motor?

Nope,.... If the Only crack is to the Outside,... Epoxy it,....

If ya weld it, ya Epoxy over it to seal the pin holes,...

lock, 'n stitch is labor intensive,....

Epoxy alone on a clean prepped surface will hold very well, for little money,...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: salvaging engine block

I sure wouldn't spend the money to rebuild a cracked block. I don't care if it was stitched or not. The block is already compromised.