How to clean upholstery

txhorns0508

Cadet
I've searched this topic, but haven't really been able to find much. I just bought a boat which is in pretty good shape, but the upholstery has lots of black marks/stains/smudges on it. Normal soap and water is not getting them out. Does anybody have other ideas for ways to clean the vinyl (its vinyl not leather, right)?

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: How to clean upholstery

Vinyl cleaner as sold at the marine stores should do the trick.

if there is mold, then I usually use a diluted bleach mix. Test an inconspicuous area first . . .

Speakrdude

Ensign

my wife found this on pinterest and it worked wonders!
Scrubbing bubbles first. Let sit a couple of minutes, then remove with mr. clean magic eraser.

73Chrysler105

Chief Petty Officer

Vinyl cleaner as sold at the marine stores should do the trick.

if there is mold, then I usually use a diluted bleach mix. Test an inconspicuous area first . . .

Do not use any bleach it will deteriorate the threads and then you will be replacing the vinyl or having it resewn before too long.

labawg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Tilex from your local grocery store. Spray, leave on for a while or so, wipe, and then rinse and dry.

snowbrd84

Petty Officer 1st Class

my wife found this on pinterest and it worked wonders!
Scrubbing bubbles first. Let sit a couple of minutes, then remove with mr. clean magic eraser.

I was going to recommend the exact same thing, Scrubbing bubbles with a scrub pad will remove pretty much anything. Test on a hidden spot to make sure it doesnt discolor...

jenn_8675309

Cadet

I have tried everything and the best I have found so far is Bleche-Wite white wall tire cleaner. I found it at Walmart in the automotive section. Paired with a soft bristle brush, it has removed all of the stains from my interior and exterior vinyl.