Help!!! Boat lists

goclmbmnt

Cadet
Okay, this is a 2003 Chris Craft 24' Bowrider and has been listing really ever since I bought the boat new. Honestly I didn't notice it right off... maybe after a couple of years, but I've never been able to find a cause, so I thought I'd throw it out here to see if there are any ideas. It rides about the same while underway also. Any thoughts on where to look for a cause?SKMBT_C25213071119590.jpg

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Re: Help!!! Boat lists

The cause is most likely that the boat lists to the side the battery is on, or water tank if you have one. Add another battery to the side that does not list, if you have not already.

goclmbmnt

Cadet

Fuel tank is in the center. 2 batteries are on the low side, but even with my 200 lbs on the opposite side it's not flat. Batteries might be part of the culprit, but there's something else. No freshwater on board. Other thoughts?

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Twin batteries, wiring harness, boarding ladder, boarding hardware, speedos and gauges, steering wheel, steering cable, horn, larger dash, fuse box, power distribution plate, throttle, and on top of all that are those stripes the same?

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wait a minute, you have a wakeboard tower on it too. Is it totally square?

Those fenders way a few pounds too.

83mulligan

Senior Chief Petty Officer

when my boat listed like that it had waterlogged foam in the back corner and the transom and stringer were rotted on that side. Now, your boat is pretty new, but are you sure there isn't water along that side under deck from a bad thru hull or something?

tpenfield

Staff member

V-hull boats lean to one side as they are wicked sensitive to any weight imbalance.

you should move some stuff around the boat to get more weight to the 'high' side. Tool box is always handy for this adjustment.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

my '99 CC 200br lists to the same side, not nearly as bad, but it does list. In my case, its the dual battery setup I have on that side. Is that where yours is as well?

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It looks like a lot more than a battery problem. I can't see batteries listing that much on a boat that size. Check for any possible leaks.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

The list above looks good. There's s lot more on the starboard side of that boat. Small stuff, but it adds up. Move the batteries if possible and see what it does.

southkogs

Staff member

You said your own weight on the port side doesn't flatten the boat out at rest, correct?

As an experiment: step into the starboard side of the boat and see how much more it lists. Then move over to port and see how much it rights itself. Then add another person who you know the rough weight of and see how much more it moves. That'll give you an idea of how much weight your dealing with. Just considering you alone suggests to me it's not a "gear" or "stowage" issue (though it might be).

If/when you put it on the trailer how long does water leak outta' the drain?