leak testing new transom

wksiez

Cadet
Hi all, this is my first post, I have a 18' 1984 Sea Arrow 5.0L that I just had the transom replaced. My question: Is there a way to leak test the gimbal seal and bellows without re-installing the motor? I was thinking if I install the exhaust Y pipe and the outdrive and back it into the water while on the trailer I can check for any leaks? Will this work. I just don't want to re-install the engine just to find a water leak and have to remove it yet again.

Thanks
Warren

alldodge

Staff member
Re: leak testing new transom

Hi all, this is my first post, I have a 18' 1984 Sea Arrow 5.0L that I just had the transom replaced. My question: Is there a way to leak test the gimbal seal and bellows without re-installing the motor? I was thinking if I install the exhaust Y pipe and the outdrive and back it into the water while on the trailer I can check for any leaks? Will this work. I just don't want to re-install the engine just to find a water leak and have to remove it yet again.

Thanks
Warren

Yes that will work, but water can still come in through the Y-pipe which depends on where your boat starts floating. Both of mine float above the Y-pipe. If you think yours will be he same issue you can either block off the pipe or make and extension to bring it above that point.

To add an additional point, make sure your shift cable boots are on

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I was thinking if I install the exhaust Y pipe and the outdrive and back it into the water while on the trailer I can check for any leaks? Will this work. I just don't want to re-install the engine just to find a water leak and have to remove it yet again.

I have actually used that method to find leaks on boats. Pull the engine out and put the drive back on and stick it in the water.

Plug off the upper ends of the Y pipe or put the hoses and the secondary elbows on them just to keep them as high as possible. Keep the boat strapped to the trailer and get it as deep as possible. (More water pressure)

wksiez

Cadet

Work perfect no leaks, putting the engine back in this weekend. I left the boat strapped to the trailer and it floated the trailer when i backed it into the water. I tried to get it as deep as I could.
thanks guys

Last edited:

wksiez

Cadet

I installed the engine this weekend and found some issues. Was never able to get the front engine mounts to line up. The engine now sits 3/4" forward of the original motor location. It seems the person who replaced and reformed the transom added a sheet of plywood to the transom width. Moving the front mounts isn't an issue but the sterndrive shaft is now 3/4" shorter when inserted into the engine coupler. how big an issue is this? Do they make custom length Long Yokes? or could you lengthen the studs on the flywheel and put a spacer between the engine coupler? Looking for ideas, thanks guys.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

I installed the engine this weekend and found some issues. Was never able to get the front engine mounts to line up. The engine now sits 3/4" forward of the original motor location. It seems the shop which replaced and reformed the transom added a sheet of plywood to the transom width. Moving the front mounts isn't an issue but the sterndrive shaft is now 3/4" shorter when inserted into the engine coupler. how big an issue is this? Do they make custom length Long Yokes? or could you lengthen the studs on the flywheel and put a spacer between the engine coupler? Looking for ideas, thanks guys.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... It's a Huge Issue,....

The Spec is 2" to no more than 2, 1/4", flat, true, 'n parallel where the inner, 'n outer housin' meet,...

What's the Thickness of yer new transom,..??

Moose truck

Seaman Apprentice

Not to Hijack, But I like this idea! I may try out on my Larson, i'm in process of installing new plywood in my transom. Regards Moose

Last edited:

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Glad you dont have any leaks..........But Wow that suck's.....Id take it back to the people who fixed it and make them fix it right.

Let us know the out come.

Good Luck!

wksiez

Cadet

Yea the guy who did it isnt available for a couple of months... 3" is the thickness of the transom.... guess im going to get the router out... and make a big mess... iil keep you guys updated thanks.

jbcurt00

Staff member

If they 'repaired' the transom by adding a pc of 3/4" plywood, I wouldn't consider the transom repaired. Did they remove the existing transom & for some reason use 3 pcs of plywood to replace it?

Proceed w/ care.

Bummer to have to tear into it.

StevenT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wskiez

Please post pictures of this transom replacement. It would be nice to know what shop did this fine transom work. Really outstanding craftsmen there to miss manufacturer specs by at least 50%.

wksiez

Cadet

If they 'repaired' the transom by adding a pc of 3/4" plywood, I wouldn't consider the transom repaired. Did they remove the existing transom & for some reason use 3 pcs of plywood to replace it?

Proceed w/ care.

Bummer to have to tear into it.

The repair was to the entire transom. Someone previously did a poor patch job and filled the space between the back of the boat and the gimbal with foam sandwiched in between some plywood. what a real hack job. As you can see from the pics that the old owner tried to use bolts and plywood to attach the swim deck?? The gimbal is inset by about 4" so there was a gap on each side of the engine filled with foam all the way to the sides of the boat. The foam and the gap on the sides is now gone filled with layers of glass treated wood. I'll post a picture of the new transom soon.
OLD IMG_0784.JPG IMG_0788.JPG
NEW 2013-07-25 06 16 50 (2).jpg2013-07-25 06.16.26 (2).jpg

Last edited:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

YIKES!!!
th

Hope you get it sorted out...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Was this a "PRO" shop that did this repair, or an individual? If it was a shop then that is unbelievable that they would Not know the transom specs for that outdrive. I would think you would have grounds for a lawsuit against them. That's totally inexcusable!:blue:

wksiez

Cadet

It was an individual. I'm not that too surprised since the entire (inside) back of the boat and transom was reconstructed. It was a huge job it is just a shame I now have to cut into it. but hey that's what owning a boat is like. This is my fifth boat and with each one I learn a bit more. though sometimes too quickly. I'll send pics of the before and after I router out the 3/4 -1" of wood. Here are some pics of the new transom.
2013-07-25 06 16 50 (2).jpg 2013-07-25 06.16.26 (2).jpg

Last edited: