Evinrude 115 Ficht 99 Water in Fuel

rustyscrew

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1999 Evinrude 115 Ficht (E115FPXEEC). I recently got a bunch of water in the fuel when the bilge went over the fuel tank and the sender or pickup gasket failed. When the alarm originally went off, I thought it was a different problem and idled toward the harbor with the engine running fine. It finally stalled and wouldn't start. Later I found all the water in the separator and fuel tank.

I popped one injector off and it had fuel in it. These are quite a pain to deal with so I went ahead and hooked the engine up to clean fuel and finally got it running. It was running really well for a bit. I was able to run it at high RPM out of gear and it idled well. I was able to idle down the harbor and power onto the trailer. When I put it back in the water, a day later, it still ran well around the harbor.

I pumped out the fuel tank, fixed the sender and pickup and installed an inline Racor filter. While hooked up to auxiliary clean fuel, on my way to the fuel dock, the engine died. It runs fine when not in gear, but under load it seems to barely work at idle and die if I move the throttle.

My theory is that there is water in the vapor separator that has either compromised the pump or fouled the screen

I will head to the boat to check on this after work. Anybody know how to drain it? What are the chances that this is salvageable without full replacement of the vapor separator/fuel pump?

I have family coming into town that I was supposed to take out for 3 solid days of fishing starting tomorrow :(

Thanks for any input.

signed,
bummed