2004 5oHP Johnson fllods will only brielfy hold idle

bigdog009

Cadet
2004 I have a 50 HP Johnson and I cannot get the motor to run or briefly run at a rough idle for 20 to 30 seconds. Some history: This spring took boat out and it "coughed" one time then went on with normal operation. Second time out it coughed twice then ran for about two miles and then quit. Would not start. Took it to the water a week later after changing plugs and replacing fuel filter and finally got it to start but when in gear (forward) full throttle would barely push the boat.
I have accomplished the following;
Suspected faulty fuel but did not know for sure:

Fuel:
1. changed fuel filter with transparent filter
2. Drained and flushed tank and replaced fuel with non ethanol fuel.
3. Replaced primer bulb and hose assembly ( original equipment was weathered and seemed weak).

Ignition:
I have maintenance manual: 1. changed spark plugs and ohm check coil to be within range of factory specs. 2.plug wires are reading "0" resistance;
3. checked spark with spark testing tool. settings of 17 to 20; continuous spark blue strong, loud report during operation on each cylinder.
4. I read a few posts and checked the idle or primer solenoid (red) lever it is in the horizontal position.
5. When I removed spark plugs,they are wet with fuel. I am wondering if there is a way the choke could be stuck or something like that. The Illustrated parts breakdown of the carburetor looks simple.

I am the original owner and this year is the first year I have had any issues with the motor operation, excluding trim and tilt.

recap I have cleaned the fuel system ( not carburetors or VRO) I have bench checked ignition system. still no go.
I would appreciate any help before I start rebuilding carbs for nothing. Can a shorted choke switch cause uncommanded choke input?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 2004 5oHP Johnson fllods will only brielfy hold idle

If your primer bulb is holding firm with engine on but not running then the primers ok.
Are you sure its fuel on the plugs, not water?

bigdog009

Cadet

If your primer bulb is holding firm with engine on but not running then the primers ok.
Are you sure its fuel on the plugs, not water?

Strong fuel odor. As I had stated I suction siphoned gas tank and put fresh non ethanol fuel tank with STABIL fuel treatment. I am confident it is fuel. I can do a flame test to see. I will take a sample in a glass jar to see if residual water is present.

continued: FUel sample clean, drew 1 pint from tank no water indicated

Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Might be your fuel injector

bigdog009

Cadet

carburetor model, no EFI still studying electric fuel primer or choke system. Anyone else want to give it a try?

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Suspected faulty fuel but did not know for sure:

Fuel:
1. changed fuel filter with transparent filter
2. Drained and flushed tank and replaced fuel with non ethanol fuel.
3. Replaced primer bulb and hose assembly ( original equipment was weathered and seemed weak).

Ignition:
I have maintenance manual: 1. changed spark plugs and ohm check coil to be within range of factory specs. 2.plug wires are reading "0" resistance;
3. checked spark with spark testing tool. settings of 17 to 20; continuous spark blue strong, loud report during operation on each cylinder.
4. I read a few posts and checked the idle or primer solenoid (red) lever it is in the horizontal position.
5. When I removed spark plugs,they are wet with fuel. I am wondering if there is a way the choke could be stuck or something like that. The Illustrated parts breakdown of the carburetor looks simple.

QUOTE]

Disassemble fuel pump and inspect carefully should be part of the doo list.