Is this normal for an Eagle dual axle trailer with disc brakes?

mikegmi2

Cadet
Eagle trailer is from 2007, and has disc brakes. While putting back on my regular rim with new tire (got a flat towning due to cracked valve stem over 4th of july weekend) I noticed after I jacked up the trailer, the wheel was hard to turn. Then I noticed the brake pad was slightly applying pressure against the rotor. It would still spin, but not freely like I would have expected when the electric brakes aren't hooked up.

It is normal (im kinda new to all this) for the trailer brakes to be slightly engaged like this while the trailer is not hoooked up to vehicle? Or will this happen if I was applying the brakes as I cut power to the truck/trailer?

I didn't check the other wheels yet but plan to do so tonight.

My worry is that if this brake pad is slightly pressing against the rotor at all times, it is causing an unnecessary load while pulling the trailer with my truck.

Thanks for your responses!

Mike

Thalasso

Commander
Re: Is this normal for an Eagle dual axle trailer with disc brakes?

Disc brakes do rub against the rotor but very lightly just as drum brakes do.They (disc) will be ever so lightly.

haulnazz15

Captain

Depends on what you mean by "slightly engaged". Disc brakes (whether on your car or on the trailer) are always in contact with the rotor. When you spin the rotor by hand, you should get at least 1-2 turns out of it before it comes to a stop, maybe 2+ if the tire is on the hub when you spin it. If the rotor stops before 1 turn, you may have a seized caliper. The trailer being plugged in should have nothing to do with it.

mikegmi2

Cadet

Ill have to jack it up again and pay more attention to how many turns I get with the wheel on the hub. I think I was getting 1 turn or so, but I expected more as I didn't realize it was normal for the brake pads to be slightly touching the rotors.

I guess another way I can check functionality is to plug the trailer in and have a friend pump the brakes while I look to make sure the calipers are moving the pads in and out...thanks for the replies.

haulnazz15

Captain

I assume you have a trailer brake controller in your truck, yes?

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I assume you have a trailer brake controller in your truck, yes?
If disc brakes, they'll be hydraulic / surge, not electric. Surge doesn't use a brake controller, unless he has electric over hydraulic set up, which I think is unlikely. And yes, discs will "drag" slightly, as there are no springs to push pads away from rotor. Every car / truck sold has disc brakes and is the same way. Not an issue, unless caliper is hanging up and keeping brakes applied.

mikegmi2

Cadet

My mistake, I actually have hydraulic surge brakes.

Seems this is normal, and thanks for the replies guys.

haulnazz15

Captain

If disc brakes, they'll be hydraulic / surge, not electric. Surge doesn't use a brake controller, unless he has electric over hydraulic set up, which I think is unlikely. And yes, discs will "drag" slightly, as there are no springs to push pads away from rotor. Every car / truck sold has disc brakes and is the same way. Not an issue, unless caliper is hanging up and keeping brakes applied.

I'm aware of that, but the OP mistakenly said that he had electric brakes.

Eagle trailer is from 2007 . . . It would still spin, but not freely like I would have expected when the electric brakes aren't hooked up.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Perhaps you could try greasing your coupler. Mine was dry and it would stick partially engaged after backing in and unhooking. Of course when I pulled it out it would release no problem. After I greased it it would return to the correct position. It also caused a thumping noise whenever I would take off from a stop. The greasing solved that too.

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Is this normal for an Eagle dual axle trailer with disk brakes?

Re: Is this normal for an Eagle dual axle trailer with disk brakes?

Ill have to jack it up again and pay more attention to how many turns I get with the wheel on the hub. I think I was getting 1 turn or so, but I expected more as I didn't realize it was normal for the brake pads to be slightly touching the rotors.

I guess another way I can check functionality is to plug the trailer in and have a friend pump the brakes while I look to make sure the calipers are moving the pads in and out...thanks for the replies.

Pumping the brakes on the truck is going to have Absolutely ZERO effect on the brakes of the trailer.
The coupler on the end of the trailer tongue contains a Master Brake Cylinder that compresses when you apply the truck brakes and the trailer attempts to push forward against the ball.
The Coupler compresses backwards an inch and applies the Trailer's Hydraulic Disk Brakes.

To release the Trailer Brakes the coupler will need to be pulled back forward again as when you are towing.
If the last action you did when parking the trailer was backing up, the coupler is still compressed.
The coupler slide pin should be all the way forward when checking the Brakes for being released.

CouplerSlidePin.jpg

Last edited:

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yea what he said but he seemed to say it better than I did. The grease helped that to happen :)