Tiller Twist Grip Tension Adjust

Big Jay

Petty Officer 1st Class
'58 Johnson FD-12 18HP, the throttle seems like it could have a little more resistance/tension. My dad's Merc has a knob on the end you tightened down to increase the "drag", mine has a screw on the side of the grip but seems to have no effect one way or the other... is it just an assembly screw?

Is it possible to make this adjustment on such an old motor?

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Tiller Twist Grip Tension Adjust

That shiny screw is for taking the grip off. There's a tension spring inside but no adjustment, however, the old grease under the grip gets sticky over the years and cleaning that off and putting on a little bit of fresh grease will help you.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The screw simply attaches the grip to the internal shaft.

Inside that grip, there should be a good size brass washer (303252), a tension spring (301656), then a nylon friction block (303282). Remove the grip to check for these items.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The friction block usually is removed if installing remote controls. So, if it isn't in there that's why it doesn't have enough friction. On the other hand, maybe you are looking for more friction than was designed in.

Big Jay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ya, just a little more resistance...

Thanks everybody, I'll disassemble and check for the friction block... it is in the tiller handle right?