Pulling the 470 head

clydey

Seaman
This might sound like a short cut that is crazy,but has anyone tried to pull the head on a 470 with the intake and exhaust still attached?Not sure if I want to break those gasket seals or want to deal with a snapped exhaust bolt.

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Pulling the 470 head

Sure haven't and just the thought of it causes me concern. Gaskets are a whole lot cheaper then fixing possiable other outcomes.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I had the same thought after I pulled my head a couple of years ago. I don't see any reason why you could not do it that way aside from being heavier and more difficult to handle.

clydey

Seaman

Thanks Terry.I am thinking of going that way with the help of my son on the other side to lift off and reinstall.If the valves look good and and head appears straight it should'nt be a problem.I am hoping when I pull it the problem with the oil in antifreeze tank and milky oil in the sump is evident.I see you are running almost the same boat with the same motor and outdrive. Can you give me an idea if it has been a good vessel for ya?Anything else to look for overall?Just bought. Also thanks for the parts supplier you listed on another post