86 Mercruiser 170/ another no sparker

qcarlson

Seaman
I have very faint spark coming from the coil(Mostly right after turning the key). when I turn the key I seem to get a couple of sparks then nothing. I have disconnected the Shift interrupt switch(Green/White wire) and the Tach ( Grey wire) from the coil with no change in results. Prior to replacing the coil I had absolutely no spark, I did have a spare coil I swapped out(New in Box). There is twelve volts at the positive terminal on the coil.

Any ideas would be helpful.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: 86 Mercruiser 170/ another no sparker

Points! Try this: Make sure the ground (black wire) is clean and tight. remove the center wire from the distributor, remove the cap. Place the wire about 1/4 inch from bare engine metal. Place a piece of insulating material between the points. Ignition switch on, with a short piece of insulated wire briefly jumper from one side of the points to the other. You should see a spark from the coil wire every time you remove the jumper wire. If you do, your points are bad.

Goodzwell

Recruit
Re: 86 Mercruiser 170/ another no sparker

I'm reconditioning a 1980 Silverline Nantucket 350 Chev. I've run into a similar problem but I didn't know it at the time. Removed the Distributor Cap and assembly from the block to clean it and put in a new gasket. While cleaning it I found a broken wire in the assembly. Two wires that attach to a pickup at the base of the housing inside the distributor housing. If I hadn't have found that accidently I'd be in the same boat as you. No pun intended. :)