Water Pump Seal Gasket....Mine doesnt have one...

335i101

Cadet
Working on a few things trying to get my boat running correctly. Today I installed (tried to install) a new water pump kit for a 1991 150 Black MAX.

When I took the old unit out there was not a O-ring, "slinger" or sealing gasket on the driveshaft. Looking in the service manual, the closet water pump picture they show to mine is the 40hp, 50hp, and 60hp "high pressure pump."

image.jpg

As you see in the pik there is a seal.

When I look to the 150hp model in the manual it shows an O-Ring....however my pump did not look like what the book shows.
image.jpg

Lastly, when I look it up on Mercury parts it shows an O-ring (item 36) but says as a side note "If applicable."

image.jpg

Advice??? Leave with no seal...throw in the o-ring or the larger rubber seal that I got in the kit....trying to avoid getting stranded on the water for a third time.

Thanks!!!

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: Water Pump Seal Gasket....Mine doesnt have one...

You have a few threads running here and I just read your one about the Voltage Regulator and see where you are spending money on tools etc. You should always correctly identify your engine with the s/n/model number before ordering parts.

So, first of all, what is your engine s/n?

Gerry

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Leave with no seal.
No as this keeps exhaust gasses out of impeller at idle and keep water from climbing driveshaft to lower splines.
.throw in the o-ring or the larger rubber seal that I got in the kit
No o-ring just the large rubber seal....

335i101

Cadet

You have a few threads running here and I just read your one about the Voltage Regulator and see where you are spending money on tools etc. You should always correctly identify your engine with the s/n/model number before ordering parts.

So, first of all, what is your engine s/n?

Gerry

S/N is ODO29489

carholme

Rear Admiral

That s/n comes up as:

MERCURY - (150 H.P. (1991 ))
Serial No: 0D029489 Model No: 1150412LD

Here is the Parts and Service Bulletin list for s/n 0D029489

Search Results - Crowley Marine

You will see the slinger ring as item 36 under GEAR HOUSING (DRIVE SHAFT) STANDARD ROTATION 135/150

Gerry

335i101

Cadet

That s/n comes up as:

MERCURY - (150 H.P. (1991 ))
Serial No: 0D029489 Model No: 1150412LD

Here is the Parts and Service Bulletin list for s/n 0D029489

Search Results - Crowley Marine

You will see the slinger ring as item 36 under GEAR HOUSING (DRIVE SHAFT) STANDARD ROTATION 135/150

Gerry

Makes sense to me. Thanks!