Black dots on cushions

Old Man

Seaman Apprentice
I have noticed on boat cushions black dots that look like tar and look like they are burned into the surface a little, most of them are pinhead sized, ive also noticed similar markings on white plastic resin type chairs in backyards that are miles from the water, what can this be and what can be used to remove it?

D

DJ

Re: Black dots on cushions

It's mold.<br /><br />Use a citrus based cleaner to remove them.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

try some tilex on them. be sure to flush them good with water when finished. You want bleach not acid to clean mold and mildew. btw, you're looking at Oregon's state flower.

crab bait

Captain

i seen 'them' before... an i almost didn't live to tell the tale...<br /><br />to put it simply,,OLD MAN,, you are haborin' an amongst an incideous alien life form.. <br /><br />they start off as small inoccent lookkin' black dots.. an wants your 2 miles off dock they grow to enormous proportions.. to where they swallow up the entire boat, contents, an yes,, even crew an pets... 'THEY' are partical to small yappy dogs.. <br /><br />once they consumed of contents of boat ,, the float off ,, scale back down to innocent lookin' black dots an climb aboard another unsuspectin' 'lunch wagon'to feed again.. <br /><br />NOW LISTEN UP..!!!!<br /><br />YOU MUST BREAK THIS CYCLE<br />YOU MUST DESTROY BY FIRE YOUR BOAT, OLD MAN.. do it for humanity ... thankyou sir..

delsol

Senior Chief Petty Officer

if some of it wont come out at all , you can dye the cushion as a last resort with marhide dye...<br />but try to clean it first

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

It sounds like artillary fungus AKA shotgun fungus. It shoots up from mulch that is infested as much as 20 or 30'. It tends to attach to light colored objects. It gets into the finish & can ruin even vinyl siding. <br />Take care of it as soon as you can. I've heard sudsy ammonia will help.Don't mix the ammonia with bleach. Toxic chlorine fumes will form.

cuzner

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Could just be air pollution.I have to clean the stuff of my deck every spring,only seems to collect on flat surfaces,and realy shows on white.I use deck wash,let it sit for 10min and brush,hose off and its gone.<br /><br /> Jim

Old Man

Seaman Apprentice

thanks alot guys, will try to remove and let ya know. Some have told me that its spent aviation fuel, I sure would hope jet fuel burns a little cleaner than that. Strange! well guys have a good weekend, its finally nice here.