Pulling a tube

opto55

Seaman
I was out last weekend pulling a tube with my grandkids. 115 mer 2 stroke. Starting out I had to hit the gas pretty hard to avoid the tube going under. Once under way it pulled fine. I had a harness attached to transom clips, low on the boat. Maybe that was the problem. Anyways I did see some boats pulling tube with an inflatabe ball mounted between the boat and the tube. Just wondering why they use that? Do I need that?
Thank you.

Toddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Pulling a tube

What kind of tube? Sometimes you just need the riders to lean back while you are getting them up to speed.

opto55

Seaman

Bought at Canadian tire 3 person seems good quailty. Yes I may try having the kids lean back to start. How about the ball between the boat and tube? What is that all about?

Toddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Depending on the shape of the tube, the ball can help keep the nose from submerging, but typically when you are already at speed.

Is this a three person tube with a nose on it, or is it shaped like a sofa? If it has a nose on it where the center rider sits, leaning back is your answer.

samm835

Chief Petty Officer

The ball mainly keeps the rope out of the water, it doesn't help all that much with keeping the nose of the tube up. The riders position is key, more toward middle/back will help a great deal. The ball in my opinion isn't worth it.....I don't believe you will see any difference, a friend bought one, tried it 3 times and said it was a waste of money.....it only helped keep the rope from digging into waves an rope was more visible (a plus).

Hurricanerider

Recruit

The ball is to keep tow rope from sinking. Because of the tow rope sinking, the tube stays behind the boat. Also ball reduces water splash on the tube rider.

haulnazz15

Captain

The ball is to keep tow rope from sinking. Because of the tow rope sinking, the tube stays behind the boat. Also ball reduces water splash on the tube rider.

This, sort of. Most ropes won't "sink", but they will drag across the water which puts slack in the line and also causes spray which hits the tube riders. The ball doesn't do anything much to help the issue of the tube "submarining" when you first start out. Two things will help this: 1) make sure the tube is completely inflated (it should be quite firm), 2) have the riders shift their weight toward the rear of the tube when you first give it throttle, once you get going they can move their weight back to the front.

So in short Opto55, the ball won't likely help with your issue, but proper inflation and a bit of rider-technique will likely cure the problem.

UncleWillie

Captain

The Booster Ball will keep the line above the water and makes it easier to whip the Tube out to the sides.

Be sure you have the Tube Inflated Completely. It needs more air than most people imagine.
If the cover is still loose and has wrinkles, you are NOT inflated enough. 2.5 PSI is common.
2.5 PSI is also about the most pressure a health human lung can muster. If you can blow into the tube it isn't over inflated.
It will be very hard when properly inflated.