Hard starting / no idle on early 90's Force 9.9 HP

Ship of Fools

Recruit
I have an early 90's Force 9.9 that has been running like a champion until just recently.

Basically it is very difficult to start .... early this year it started and ran perfectly and then recently it wouldn't start and once it was started would only idle / troll with the choke on but at higher rpm's it worked great.

A year ago i had similar issues to what i am facing now and determined that the fuel line between the tank and motor needed to be replaced and after doing so the motor ran perfectly. This year i had the same issue and replaced the gas line from the fitting that the line from the hose connects to the fuel pump and it started better but still required the choke on.

A week later and that doesn't cut it either.

I replaced the line from the tank to the motor again.

In reading on here i saw many posts about it possibly being a fuel pump issue so i pulled the line from the pump off at the carb and when i turn it over i get spurts of gas on every pull which from what i have read means the fuel pump is ok.

Any thoughts?

cbercaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Hard starting / no idle on early 90's Force 9.9 HP

Compression and spark test... ? Use fresh 89 octane fuel with marine stabil. Replace all fuel lines with ethanol resistant lines. Install a fuel water separator in between fuel tank and motor. install a clear inline fuel filter in between carb and fuel pump..
clean the fuel recirculation system because the screens get jammed up. That covers the ethanol abatement..Inspect your fuel pump diapraghm for pinhole leaks by holding it up to a light. I'm not sure but your fuel pump may have check valves in it. These can become damaged by ethanol and will 'stick' which restricts fuel and causes hard starts. When was the last time you cleaned your carb? gum and varnish build up and will cause a hard start condition. Where is your ship of fools located on this cruel sea?? maybe someone else is local and can 'share your laughter'..sorry i couldnt resist...

cbercaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Hard starting / no idle on early 90's Force 9.9 HP

could also just be a clogged fuel pickup in the tank..I would at least do all the above so YOU know at least these preventative measures have been taken..Also, what is the condition of the spark plugs?