56 evinrude 30hp

Boater1010

Seaman
I removed the flywheel to replace the points, condensers and coils, but I am having trouble aligning the flywheel with the key. Is there a particular way the key has to be in on the shaft? I do see 2 marks on 1 side of the key.
any help appreciated.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 56 evinrude 30hp

The little hash marks are on the bottom of the key. The key (when installed) is to be paralell (sp)?)with the center line of the crankshaft.

Boater1010

Seaman

the hash marks are on the center of the arch of the key. 2 hash marks spaced about 1/4-1/2" apart.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

Assuming it is a key for an outboard, there should be some sort of mark on one end of the key. If you're having trouble fitting the flywheel slot, it's possible the key has a slight bend in it.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

If it is a hardware store key, toss it in the trash and get an OEM one. Ensure the taper is clean/dry, clean with acetone. As stated, the key has to be parallel with the centerline of the crank.

Boater1010

Seaman

when you refer to the centerline of the crank what do you mean? I am pretty sure it is a oem key, but stilll am having a hell of a time trying to get the flywheel on. I never had a problem like this before. I am baffled. Please help!!

scottmm73

Petty Officer 1st Class

when you refer to the centerline of the crank what do you mean?

Imagine an imaginary line running from the top center of the crankshaft vertically down to the bottom of the bottom center of the crankshaft. the flat of the key should be parallel with that imaginary line.

Boater1010

Seaman

thanks for the responses. I did just manage to get the flywheel on. I had to set the flywheel overt the shaft and key so there were 1/4" of threads showing. then I put on the nut to snug it down. I just have never had to do it this way on my smaller motors. the clearance seemed tight. Also what torque should the nut be tightned to?
thanks

Big Jay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just a thought... you're installing the key with the moon side inward right? Flat side out?

It was something I didn't know the first time I replaced one until seeing it pointed out in another thread, figured no harm in asking :rolleyes:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Torque is 65 foot pounds. I can't imagine any reason why it went on so hard. It's the same key it came off of, right? Something had to have buggered it up after the flywheel was removed. Hash marks are to make it a tight fit into the crankshaft, other side is a close slip fit into flywheel. I've had literally hundreds of them off and never had to force one back on.

Boater1010

Seaman

Hi Big jay yes I installed it moon side in and flat side out. thanks for all the help. much appreciated.