1972 evinrude 40 hp need lower unit advice!

Ryanlins

Cadet
Hello,

I hit a rock last trip out and I will need a new lower unit for my motor. The model # is 40252e.

I need to know which years of evinrude/Johnson lower units would be compatible with my outboard? Also I live in ontario, Canada so I'm not sure if anyone knows some good places to look for a part like that??

I was advised that if I replace that part I might as well replace the water pump while I'm at it...does that make sense, and is it fairly easy once I get the lower unit off?

As you can see I'm a newbie...but any advice, links, or info would help tremendously!!

Thanks for all your input.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: 1972 evinrude 40 hp need lower unit advice!

Yea if you buy the lower unit from a dealer it will often be pressure tested (for leaks in the seals) and will often include a new water pump. An Ebay lower unit may be tempting, but without the knowledge of how to change out seals and a waterpump, you may be asking for trouble. There is a list of salvage yards in the top secret files on the forums. Do some exploring and you will find it. As far as what years are compatible, Im not sure, but a quick call to one of said salvage yards may handle that one for ya. Good luck!

gm280

Supreme Mariner

How bad is you lower unit? Maybe you could post some pictures for everybody to see and provide ideas or help.

Also, welcome to iboats :welcome: nice having aboard...

mars bar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Where roughly do you live in Ontario, I'm in Niagara Region.

Big Jay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Depends on where in Ontario you are.....

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Why in the world do you need a whole new lower unit? Did you break the housing or something? Anyhoo, there are a number of lower units that will fit your motor, and a lot that won't. Think 33hp from the 1960's and you should be ok. Or Gale-built 35 & 40hp also. Evinrude and Johnson 40hp 1959-1970 will NOT fit.

Ryanlins

Cadet

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I live in ottawa. I opened up the housing which was un damaged, but two of the 4 gears had broken teeth on them. And a couple other copper pieces were broken in there too. I know water was getting in there too, and I had just had the prop seal replaced so it was coming from somewhere else. I should take pics and post for you...I should mention that upon hitting the rock I lost my prop shaft and prop too.

I am kind of debating what's the best thing to do...search for the lower unit or just get a new engine. I had the compression tested and both cylinders are at 105. It always ran good...what do you guys suggest?

It's got controls with electric choke and start. It's a pretty nice setup for 1972...

Btw where are the "top secret files" to find salvage yards on here?

Thanks so much for your help!!

Big Jay

Petty Officer 1st Class

The TSF is the first post in the J/E forum, by "tashasdaddy".... tons of info there.

Too bad it's not an electric shift... there's a lower unit in my local kijiji in North Bay for $100....

If the motor runs well and reliably, and you know it and trust it... your compression is solid and the controls are already there...

Seems like an easy decision to me :).... I'd try to find a cheap parts motor with a solid lower unit, I think the BigTwin 40s are mostly the same but with the fat leg and a different cowl, but maybe someone else here can confirm that for you....

Just my thoughts..... Good Luck!