Alpha One shift cable at spec limit - best plan of action?

rwelts

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,

slowly have been bringing an 86 celebrity 210 cuddy back from poor care of PO. last winter replaced bellows, and shift cable. shift cable is at the absolute limit for specification of travel. what is the best course of action to bring back to spec? i am noticing from time to time shifting from forward to reverse doesn't go to neutral unless i go a bit beyond neutral. not consistent but certainly time to review options.

there is no grinding, oil clean and pressure test was good. has 745 hours.

thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Alpha One shift cable at spec limit - best plan of action?

Hi all,

slowly have been bringing an 86 celebrity 210 cuddy back from poor care of PO. last winter replaced bellows, and shift cable. shift cable is at the absolute limit for specification of travel. what is the best course of action to bring back to spec? i am noticing from time to time shifting from forward to reverse doesn't go to neutral unless i go a bit beyond neutral. not consistent but certainly time to review options.

there is no grinding, oil clean and pressure test was good. has 745 hours.

thanks

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Donno how a brand new cable can be worn out,....

Did ya adjust it, by the Book,..??

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Have you checked the amount of 'play' in the lower shift system? Your problem could be something other than the lower shift cable....

Chris........

rwelts

Seaman Apprentice

hi to all,

the cable is new but the issue is play in the drive according to the mercruiser stuff i am reading. just looking for best option, rebuild lower, both or ........

its running fine now so its currently my winter project upcoming lol.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Find out exactly where the play is. It may not be inside the gear housing. It may just be accumulated play in each of the connection points.

Possible locations, from the top down...

1. Float in the slide on the end of the shift cable. Ensure the grub-screw is as close as possible to the end of the cable without binding it (ie, the slide MUST be able to rotate freely on the cable).
2. Clearance between the slide 'fingers' and the roller on the shift arm in the bell-housing.
3. Movement at the 'shoe' between the upper shift shaft and the intermediate shift shaft.

If all those are ok (not movement), then use the template in the service manual and work out how much movement there is inside the gear housing. If it's out of spec (more than 12? of movement), then yes, a gear housing tear-down is needed....

Chris............
(The template is on page 46 in section 1-C of the Merc shop manual)

rwelts

Seaman Apprentice

thanks. no rain finally, can try these out

rwelts

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks to all. the lower unit is at its limit of play, thus making the cable act likewise. but, its working well for now, that's what winter is for, lol