Sluggish top end

SHickey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello

My 1987 '19 Bluefinn is running great after I had the carb rebuilt. The motor is a 2.3 liter with your basic Cobra out-drive. The problem I am having with it is that it seems to get boggy at the upper 4000 RPM levels. The motor sounds like it is straining or dieseling if that makes any sense. I have the recommended 13 1/4 X17P aluminum prop and it gets up to @ 32-33 MPH trimmed out according to my GPS. If I push it to 5000 RPM there is no increase in speed.

I am not a speed demon but I would like to get the motor to perform at it's best and it seems to work perfectly until I want to top end it.

I was planning on messing with the timing to see if I can eliminate the higher RPM strain or considering a prop with a slightly lower pitch or smaller diameter.

Has this situation happened to anyone else and how was it resolved?? Any help is always most appreciated!!

SH

SHickey

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Sluggish top end

Sorry to answer my own post but last night I adjusted my timing, fine tuned my carb idle mixture, and topped off my tank with 89 octane.

I took my boat out after work and it ran flawlessly. No detonation, straining or knocking!! I did not have my GPS so I could not measure my speed but the motor sounded great. I looked through some older posts so a little tinkering paid off (so far)!!

Thanks