Adding Pull Up Cleats - Gel coat question

Gryphon

Seaman
I need to add pull up cleats to a brand new boat. I will be adding the Accon marine 450-6 inch cleats. I need to drill two 7/8" holes per cleat. What is the best choice to use for drilling the holes? I was planning on using a regular hole saw, but at 7/8" I cant find one that I can run in reverse. At that size they are the screw on ones that just back themselves off in reverse.

How about a grit style hole saw? Are there ones that are arboured and would work in reverse?

Will a regular drill bit work fine? How about a forstner bit?

Once I drill the holes, what is the best way to chamfer the hole? The largest chamfer bit I can find is a 3/4" one. Will that work for a 7/8" hole or will it be to small?

Thanks

Gryphon

Seaman
Re: Adding Pull Up Cleats - Gel coat question

No one drill a 7/8" hole before?

Gryphon

Seaman

Not a single person able to help out?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Not much call for drilling a 7/8" hole thru gelcoat, so hard to recommend a good bit to choose.

A stepped bit would be my 1st choice, but I have NO specific reason, other then it seems a good choice. Again, never done it........
$%28KGrHqVHJF%21FFwnfCt0pBRe7WcD%29kQ%7E%7E60_12.JPG
to drill the 7/8" holes

And a countersink to chamfer the edges of that hole:
0105664-23.jpg
6+ flukes, 1" head, $47+ ship online here

If you're drilling a 7/8" hole, I don't know how you'd chamfer the holes w/ a 3/4" bit? A router bit?

MAKE SURE YOU KNOW EXACTLY whats below where you're drilling.

AGAIN, NEVER DONE IT, NOT EVER..........

fishrdan

Admiral

I was planning on using a regular hole saw, but at 7/8" I cant find one that I can run in reverse.

A regular hole saw will work just fine as you are trying to lightly cut in reverse through the gelcoat and a bit into the fiberglass, then flip the drill into forward to cut the rest of the hole. I would tighten the saw onto the arbor with pliers to keep it from loosening, I have to use pliers often to remove them.

Chamfering? Does the hole need to be chamferred out to accept the cleat, or are you just trying to clean up the hole? A round file or dowel with sand paper wrapped around it will clean up the edges of the hole.

Gryphon

Seaman

A regular hole saw will work just fine as you are trying to lightly cut in reverse through the gelcoat and a bit into the fiberglass, then flip the drill into forward to cut the rest of the hole. I would tighten the saw onto the arbor with pliers to keep it from loosening, I have to use pliers often to remove them.

Chamfering? Does the hole need to be chamferred out to accept the cleat, or are you just trying to clean up the hole? A round file or dowel with sand paper wrapped around it will clean up the edges of the hole.

I cant get that small of a hole saw to stay on in reverse. I am chamfering the hole just to clean it up and prevent cracks.

fishrdan

Admiral

I cant get that small of a hole saw to stay on in reverse.

Use a couple of slip-joint plumbing pliers to tighten the hole saw, then drill with light pressure. The hole saw doesn't need to be very tight to eat through gelcoat and fiberglass. Heck, if needed, put a dab of epoxy on the arbor and spin on the hole saw. You'll be able to break the epoxy loose with pliers or some heat.