Water leaking into boat

JD1371

Cadet
Hi everyone, I have read many of posts on this site and learned a lot of invaluable information. For that i say thanks. Ok i recently purchased my first boat. 1995 galaxie 18.5 ft open bow. With a 5.7l yahmaha i/o. I noticed a pretty serious leak only minutes after having it in the water once i reached my dock. After lots of reading and tinkering i have done a few steps suggested by other in different threads. What i first saw was water coming in at a steady but small flow coming in under the base plate mount? of the outdrive from inside the boat. I started to mess around and noticed the exhaust pipes have some play maybe in the y pipe. Cause when i pushed on it the water seemed to have slowed down some. I pulled the boat out and filled the bilge up with water and out came some water through the exhaust port on the outside of the boat. I took the exhaust bellow off (it wasnt even fully connected) to get a better view. I found a flapper in the exhaust port as well. So my question is could the exhaust or y pipe being letting the water inwards to fill up the boat. Since it has play? Also if it is the y pipe is thier any way to fix it without pulling the engine. Im not a mechanic but enjoy the challange plus im Texan lol. Thanks for any information. photo-7.jpg

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: Water leaking into boat

You will need to pull the engine to find what is happening in the area where the Y bolts to the transom assembly. I've seen broken bolts, corroded holes and even broken flanges.

JD1371

Cadet

Correct me if im wrong. But if the water is coming in through the exhaust port and making its way up to the bracket or missing bolt or whatever may be going on with it (because of a missing bellow) if the bellow was put back on then water would not be able to come in through the exhaust port. Therefore "temporarily" fixing the issue? I know this is not a solution but i guess im trying to figure it all out

Capt Ken

Commander

Incorrect. The bellows only funnels the exhaust out the prop. It's still allows water to to enter the exhaust system. Sitting in the water with the engine not running, the water will actually be half way up the exhaust pipe. Thus the reason for exhaust shutters. They keep water from surging back into the engine when all those "Fat is Beautiful" contestants sit on the stern of your boat for photos.

JD1371

Cadet

Ok well I guess its settled im going to have to pull the engine. I have been trying to squeeze back thier with no luck. I was wondering has anyone ever used a cable come along attached to a tree to pull and engine before. Also if anyone knows where to hook onto the engine that would be helpful. Thanks.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

I would pick up two items at a cheap tool co. 1 A chain hoist. and 2 A engine leveler. This will make it easy and safe. Trying to work a come along is a bad idea. The leveler just attaches to intake manifold bolts. One near the front and one near the back on the other side.

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I recommend a chain hoist attached to a sturdy tree branch. You only need the engine leveler if you aren't confident setting the lift points so the engine comes up in a level position.

The first time I used a leveler I thought wow this is nice, but not nice enough that I needed to buy one. I just place my lifting straps or chains so the engine comes up level and it will come back down level. Any other small adjustments needed I can do by pushing the motor back/forth side/side by hand.

You may just need to tighten or replace your exhaust bellows. Have you checked the transom for rot?

JD1371

Cadet

Yes i believe the transom is in good shape. I can feel a bolt head that seems a little loose underneath the y pipe. I believe this may be the bracket for the pipe. Not sure never been back there on a boat. I also found my water pump impeller was shredded. Im having a tuff time trying to find anything about the yahmaha engines and outdrives. does anyone know where to find a service manual to download or order? Is thier a impeller in the lower unit as well on the yahmaha's or just on the engine? Either way this weekend im going to try and pull the engine and outdrive out to examine the issue. Any tips would be appreciated because this is going to be a first!! excited but nervous. Thanks for yalls input. FYI im renting a chain hoist instead of a cable puller

JD1371

Cadet

OK update.. i pulled the engine and outdrive off and put it back together no problems. issue was a backed out bolt from the y pipe flange and 3 others were loose. All is good with the leak. problem number 2. i replaced the impeller and still having hot temp issues. ive been chasing it down. So far what i know is the water pump isnt sucking water into the engine. i tried a bucket full of water method and no suction. yes the impeller is in correctly. i have no clue as to where to go now. all hoses seem to be in good shape. any suggestions or ideas??? thanks for the help

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm no Yamaha guy but you said the impeller was "shredded". Were all the pieces there?

If not, you have to find out where they went. That usually involves pushing water through passages the reverse direction that it is intended to go.

JD1371

Cadet

Put foot in mouth. lol I rechecked the impeller and the key had slid up and it wasnt turning with the shaft of the water pump. So engine cooling system is running great now. Thanks for the inputs and help im learning as i go. BUT PROBLEM #3 has started!!!!! After the boat was in running condition i decided to take it to the lake. It ran like a champ for at least a good hour. I noticed after i had slowed down once that the get up and go was gone and the boat would only run full throttle at 2800 rpm. Im not sure whats going on but it only has a portion of the power that it did have. I have read some other posts and working on a checklist that they have posted for lack of wot rpms.I was wondering if anyone has any input what could cause this as it was working good for a while. It will rev in neutral just fine but today i reved it up in neutral it backfired on me. Also the boat seems like it bogs down and takes a while to plane unlike it did for that hour or so of pure joy and feeling of accomplishment, Im kinda lost at this point. I put new fuel in it. Both of the carb doors open the throttle linkage is good. Spark plugs are new. Maybe fuel filter?? loss of a cylinder?? Not getting enough fuel? or to much?

Bondo

Staff member

Put foot in mouth. lol I rechecked the impeller and the key had slid up and it wasnt turning with the shaft of the water pump. So engine cooling system is running great now. Thanks for the inputs and help im learning as i go. BUT PROBLEM #3 has started!!!!! After the boat was in running condition i decided to take it to the lake. It ran like a champ for at least a good hour. I noticed after i had slowed down once that the get up and go was gone and the boat would only run full throttle at 2800 rpm. Im not sure whats going on but it only has a portion of the power that it did have. I have read some other posts and working on a checklist that they have posted for lack of wot rpms.I was wondering if anyone has any input what could cause this as it was working good for a while. It will rev in neutral just fine but today i reved it up in neutral it backfired on me. Also the boat seems like it bogs down and takes a while to plane unlike it did for that hour or so of pure joy and feeling of accomplishment, Im kinda lost at this point. I put new fuel in it. Both of the carb doors open the throttle linkage is good. Spark plugs are new. Maybe fuel filter?? loss of a cylinder?? Not getting enough fuel? or to much?

Ayuh,.... It's a Lean condition,.... Check the Contents of the fuel filter for Water, bad gas, 'n crud,...