Another "help me pick my first boat" post

lootcorp

Recruit
My wife and I are dying to get out on the water.

I wish we had the cash and experience to buy something like a 28-30 foot cruiser and keep it slipped. However, after thinking about this for the last year, my goals are to get something that won't break the bank and something we can use as a learner boat. We both have a lot of experience being ON boats, but zero experience owning or operating them.

We live near Norwalk, CT, so we'd primarily be using the boat in Norwalk Harbor. I'd love to be able to take the boat along the CT coast, say, to Stamford or some of the other towns on our side of the LI Sound. It would usually be just the two of us out on the boat with our dog...we would like to bring friends on the boat, minimum of two, more the better.

I don't want to spend a lot for the first boat...I also want something relatively easy to maintain. I'm no mechanical expert but I'm willing to learn, so the gentler the learning curve the better. I don't mind doing the maintenance but don't want a project boat to start with...

We don't have a tow vehicle. Well, we have a Honda CR-V, which can't tow very much at all. There are some storage options around here - lots of marinas with slips, rack storage, etc... - if we could score a good enough deal on the boat, we might be able to afford to keep it slipped.

My wife doesn't like the look of the center console fishing boats. She wants something with at least a little style and comfortable seating. I like to fish occasionally, but not really a requirement for this first boat. I want my wife to be really happy with the boat and sell her on the lifestyle. Would probably look to upgrade the boat in 2-3 years.

So, what are my options? My wife loves the look of the new Bayliner Element... I love the fact that it's so light that we could probably tow it. I hate the fact that it seems very underpowered and we would probably outgrow it a bit too quickly. Thinking a 16-18 foot bowrider is sort of what we're looking for... The tow issue is killing me -- any boat I'm looking at is going to require either buying a tow vehicle or finding a place to keep the boat.

Sigh - so many variables, and I'm feeling extremely overwhelmed by the process. I know no one here will have the perfect answer, but maybe you can throw some ideas my way that will help me out.

Thanks!

-J

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Another "help me pick my first boat" post

Bayliner is an entry level boat and many believe it has not had a great reputation for decades.... I'm one of those.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

4 people and a dog would be pretty cramped in a 16 footer.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

I'd suggest a dual console boat with an outboard...or if you are looking for a cabin a walk around cuddy, also with an outboard.

Both styles of boats are based on the same or similar hulls to their center console brothers and work really well to accomplish more than just fishing.

Look at brands such as:

Grady White
Pursuit
Scout
Key West
EdgeWater

Or any other brands you see around your area that make center console boats.

I'd highly suggest looking at used boats for a first/learner boat. Not only will you not be so worried about dock dings etc. the major depreciation hit was already taken by a previous owner. The style of boat I suggest usually hold their value very well once on the used market.

lootcorp

Recruit

Thanks for the replies, guys.

@Crabby - I've heard the same from others. While Bayliner definitely isn't my first choice, I was just using the Element as an example. The wife likes the looks, I'd be able to trailer it, it is in my budget, and it's been getting awesome reviews. As far as BL being an entry-level boat, well you don't get much more entry-level than me!

@bhile - most of the time it would just be 2 adults and the dog. I imagine we'd leave the pup at home if we were taking other passengers out.

@Rotary - I'd much rather buy used...I think I could get more boat for the same money, but then I am either out a ton of money to slip it, or I have to buy a tow vehicle. Those options might work, but they add a ton of complexity to the purchase. As far as the dual console's go - thanks for the tips, we'll check a few out. We've looked at a few Grady's and the wife HATES the look of them -- she doesn't want a boat that looks like a fishing boat. Also, the only dual console's I've seen are ~19 feet and up...

Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and find an old pickup or something that can pull one of these guys...

chimmike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'd also suggest definitely starting simple and used. My neighbors are from Brooklyn, never boated before and just bought a 19' bayliner bowrider. Anything more would be too much boat for someone to start with, especially docking, loading/unloading, trailering, and maneuvering on the water.

We also bought a used bowrider, but I have a decent amount of experience running boats and this one fits in our garage and was bought for essentially a steal. I won't even say what I paid and what i've put into it to get it running because it's one of those "once-in-a-lifetime" deals. haha.