Another Bellows Question

Wadlo

Cadet
Please excuse my ignorance on the issue of bellows but this is my first experience with them. QUESTION: In addition to a good visual inspection and in lieu of hauling a 21' '86 Sea Ray Seville to a boat ramp, is there any way the bellows can be checked WHILE OPERATING? Will a set of impeller muffs & an attached hose yield the same results and show leakage as an in-water test would? Mercruiser 470 4 cyl. engine; Seller said impeller + other items were recently replaced/rebuilt. Engine ran strong with no leakage into bilge when trailer-tested but boat took on water when it was launched. An unsealed transducer cable hole through the transom was allowing water to pour into the bilge but the marina operator tried to convince me that the water was the result of bad bellows. (And yes, he offered repairs $600-$1000.). The Seller, a yacht broker, sent me a complete bellows replacement kit, saying that he completely inspected the bellows & detected no problems during trailered test startups.
Any input would be appreciated.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Another Bellows Question

Running on the muffs will not be a test of the drive shaft bellows, since the intake water does not run through them.

the best way is to remove the outdrive an visually inspect for water that remains inside as well as rust on the u-joints, etc.

I would see if the boat no longer leaks with the cable hole fix and take it from there. Hold onto the bellows kit for future needs.

Wadlo

Cadet

Thanks, Ted. I'll do a visual inspection & seal the transom hole. I'm trying to locate some rubber plugs to fabricate a stopper for the hole although a boat pro suggested I just "slap on some good marine sealant inside & out & be done with it." I'll wait on the bellows install until I lake test it again in the next few days.

Stamey

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I had to drill a 1" hole in my transom, above the water line, for my transducer, I used a rubber plug I found at Lowes, in the hardware section, coated with 3M 5200 sealant and pressed into the hole. I had to drill a hole in mine for the transducer line, but that won't be necessary for you. I also used a clam shell vent cover to hold the plug in place because the sealant made the plug slippery and want to pop back out, until it dried.
Clam shell

Chris

Bondo

Staff member

Please excuse my ignorance on the issue of bellows but this is my first experience with them. QUESTION: In addition to a good visual inspection and in lieu of hauling a 21' '86 Sea Ray Seville to a boat ramp, is there any way the bellows can be checked WHILE OPERATING? Will a set of impeller muffs & an attached hose yield the same results and show leakage as an in-water test would? Mercruiser 470 4 cyl. engine; Seller said impeller + other items were recently replaced/rebuilt. Engine ran strong with no leakage into bilge when trailer-tested but boat took on water when it was launched. An unsealed transducer cable hole through the transom was allowing water to pour into the bilge but the marina operator tried to convince me that the water was the result of bad bellows. (And yes, he offered repairs $600-$1000.). The Seller, a yacht broker, sent me a complete bellows replacement kit, saying that he completely inspected the bellows & detected no problems during trailered test startups.
Any input would be appreciated.

Ayuh,.... Has that Broker cashed yer check yet,..??

You really, Really don't want a 470 motor,....

It's gonna make the price for the bellows swap look like chump change in short order, if Anything needs fixin',...

470s are an Ok motor for Diy shade-tree Mechanics who like workin' on their boat, as much as they Love goin' Boatin',...

Wadlo

Cadet

Thanks for the info, Chris. I was considering cruising the aisles at Lowe's to find a suitable solution & your suggestion will help a bunch.

As for the 470, I'm flipping this boat so I won't be in it on water but a few more hours. I have a Glastron Chaparrel 195 with a Mercruiser V8 EFI that serves me well so this cruiser was just a buy n' flip for profit. It was a good deal, is in fairly good condition & just needed some attention. The yacht dealer has been extremely helpful & responsive since the sale and continues to be. I'll fix a few things, clean it up and let somebody else take over.