Small Vessel U.S. Waters Requirement

Platypus E65

Seaman
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. If it is, please move it to that appropriate one.

I don't know anything much about the requirements for sailboats in the U.S. waters but, when I seen one without any flags or a name on it, it got me curious. The attached photo is cropped pretty heavily that shows no flags or name on the bow. Looking at it with my 10x binocs I didn't see one at the stern but the angle was not perfect for viewing. The other sailboat (other attached photo) that I've seen is roughly the same size and it showed it's name on the bow along with a country flag (Japan) and a small US flag on it.
Is the nameless sailboat anchored in the Bering Sea, AK within U.S. regulations?
TIA
IMGP7301.jpgIMGP5635.jpg

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: Small Vessel U.S. Waters Requirement

First, there are no U.S. 'national' regs. Minimum regulations that must be adhered to within the U.S. are those specified by the US Coast Guard. Additional requirements may be specified by the individual state in which the boat is registered.

Far as I know, there is no requirement, either USCG or state, for a boat to display a name or flag... at least not within U.S. territorial waters.

My .02

Ned L

Commander

"Generally speaking" all boats 'permanently' residing in U.S. waters must be either registered in the state it resides (displaying the state registration numbers on the forward part of the vessel, in this case probably something like "AK 2765B") , or federally documented through the U.S. Coast Guard (and then displaying the name and port of call on the transom as well as the name somewhere on the sides of the vessel). Federal documentation is limited to vesssels of 5 or more registered tons. Some states require a state registration even if the vessel is documented (they collect their taxes on the vessel this way).
Displaying of flags is not a 'requirement', but is a courtesy and proper protocal especially if you are in "foreign waters" (as the second sailboat from Japan is). Proper practice is to display your home country flag from a flag staff aft (or from the leach of the main sail), and the flag (smaller) of the host country (the country you are in) from the starboard spreader. (The Japanese sailboat is correctly displaying both of these).
I will say, I think the USCG would take a much harder look at the first boat (no ID at all) than the second one (well marked with name, home country, & acknowledgement of where they are).

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

First, there are no U.S. 'national' regs. Minimum regulations that must be adhered to within the U.S. are those specified by the US Coast Guard. Additional requirements may be specified by the individual state in which the boat is registered.

As least for inland waterways, states are free to choose regulations LESS strict than USCG regulations. The USCG holds no jurisdiction on non-navigable waterways. Flares and capacity plate requirements are the two obvious regulations that come to mind, there are most likely others. (flares and capacity plates are NOT required in any way in many states)

JoLin

Vice Admiral

As least for inland waterways, states are free to choose regulations LESS strict than USCG regulations. The USCG holds no jurisdiction on non-navigable waterways.

Was not aware of that. Thanks for the correction.

Platypus E65

Seaman

Thanks everyone. Contacted USCG and they will look into it. Found out from locals that it is someone from France that owns(?) the sailboat.