Can someone walk me through what appears to be a simple repair?

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Ok so out on the boat yesterday, sitting waiting on another boat we were blown a bit out of the channel. The depth finder read over 5ft and the water is murky. We ended up hitting a line of rocks that were not marked in any way. We only drifted into it, not under power, and it damaged the underside of the hull.

Can I repair this and can someone walk me through the repair?

Here are some pics

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Re: Can someone walk me through what appears to be a simple repair?

This is not a simple repair in the sense that it should not be taken lightly (something like fill and fair and call it done) the damage should be examined thoroughly by an experienced eye (this could be you if you have this level of experience) to make sure that the fiberglass still solid and did not crake or fractured. The fact that the boat did not take water in this time is not good enough. It could happen in the future as the area continues to weaken under stress as the hull flexes. Only after determining what kind of damage we have and to what extent, a reliable and well informed advice about the repair procedure could be given. Just my 2 cents. Your boat, your call

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah, I was afraid of that. I was hoping to hear, oh that is easy, just get some marine tex and fill it in. The fact that it is still wet a day later in that area makes me nervous. I am taking it in tomorrow to have it looked at. Might end up being an insurance claim I think. The whole bottom is scraped up and damaged, but this is the worst of it. Nothing else is through the gel.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just dropped it off at the Marina to be looked at. I will have more information later today.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK so they are going to repair it and sand and buff out all the other scratches for $300. Not worth my time to mess with it. Especially since I have no way to get it off the trailer to do the work.

Bkarb

Seaman

I can justify 300 for that I think it would take a lot more hassle for you to do than its worth IMHO but I'm a tin fan so we ll leave it to the glassers to justify it

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If, number 1, I had a way to get it off the trailer, 2 I had the tools, 3 I had the time before it is supposed to be in the water in the Keys, I would definitely give it a try, but since I do not have any of those things, nor the time to figure them out or materials, it is worth $300 to me to not screw up a very expensive vacation. So I just added that amount to my vacation budget.

zool

Captain

300 sounds like a bargain, as long as theyre not hacks....

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No, they are the actual Monterey dealer in the area. We bought the boat from them, plus the owner is in our Jeep club. I trust them.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

They'll make money!!!:D

GWPSR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

$300 sounds like a really screaming deal, all considered. You lucked out.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Add the quick turn around and you are WAY ahead having them do the work. Enjoy the vacation.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

$300 sounds like a really screaming deal, all considered. You lucked out.

You aren't kidding. I looked into all the materials I would need and I think I would be pretty close to what they are doing it for just in materials. If you saw the rest of the scrapes you would really be saying I got a deal. The entire bottom of the boat needs sanding and buffing. He is also going to sand and buff some scuffs in the orange too. the only thing I have to do is fix the skeg. I think the guy that welded it on should help me out with that since he promised me it would never break on his weld, and it DID.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Got the boat back today and WOW. You cant even tell it was ever damaged. Not only did they fix the hole, they also fixed all the deep scratches, and to top that all off they even fixed all the keel damage I had from beaching the boat. The color is a little off, but once its in the water nobody can tell, and after being in the water a while I bet it will all blend together.

To say I am happy would be a gross understatement!! I am ecstatic!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

What...No PICS!!!! Now that's just not Right!!!!!!:blue:

bad coffee

Cadet

Yeah, where are the 'After' pics?

Also, $300 to NOT sand the fiberglass yourself is a killer deal. The rest of the repair is easy after the sanding.

B

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It was raining when I got home. I am working on the pics now.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think its great that he even sanded and polished and gel coated the scrapes from the bunks and from the years of beaching the boat at the same time.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Uhmmm!!!!! Have the Police been to your house yet??? I think in most states that deal would be classified as STEALING!!!!!! You should be actively advertising for him and he should be a very busy man. That's some very fine work for such a reasonable price. He for sure went above and beyond.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah, no kidding. I was expecting a $1500 bill, and would have been happy to pay it to have it done in time for our Keys trip.