56 evinrude 30hp bigtwin timing marks??

Boater1010

Seaman
Can anyone please help me find the timing marks? I see the 2 marks on the mag plate, but I can not seem to find the marks on the flywheel. any help appreciated. I just replaced the points, condensers and coils and need to make sure its timed properly.
thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 56 evinrude 30hp bigtwin timing marks??

It's there on the flywheel. Hint: If you can't find it, rotate the shaft till one set of points is about to open. The marks should be somewhere close.

The timing marks are for setting the points with a timing fixture special tool.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Timing fixture can be bought here from a certain skilled tool maker. He roams these parts now and then ;)

Frank's Tools

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you set your points correctly at .020 " the timing marks will be right on.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

In theory that is correct. However, I have never had them perfect with feeler gauge alone. Gets you close though. You are likely more experienced with them.

The best part about the timing fixture is it gets them to fire EXACTLY 180 degrees apart. That makes for a perfect, low idle. I don't use feeler gauges anymore myself unless Im out in the country without my full tools.

Boater1010

Seaman

how much is the timing fixture from franks tools?

Boater1010

Seaman

Thanks for the replys. I set the points to .20 , but I still can not find any timing marks on the flywheel. I cleaned it and inspected very closely, but can not find any. Any suggestions appreciated.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

They're on the very bottom of the flywheel. With a timing light they should fall between the two marks on the armature plate.