Mercruiser Buying Advice

mrmamiller

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Son-in-law is looking to get into boating. My experience is outboards only, so I am of no help to him. Chances are the boat will be 17-18 ft, so the I/O will be "smallish". Any tips for what to look for as far as problems when buying these things, as in, problematic items with Mercruisers in that category? I know I'll have to answer questions. Thanks for your valued input.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser Buying Advice

Son-in-law is looking to get into boating. My experience is outboards only, so I am of no help to him. Chances are the boat will be 17-18 ft, so the I/O will be "smallish". Any tips for what to look for as far as problems when buying these things, as in, problematic items with Mercruisers in that category? I know I'll have to answer questions. Thanks for your valued input.

Ayuh,.... Avoid the 470 motors, 4 cylinder, with a radiator cap,... Run,....

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just like with outboards, a well maintained propulsion package that an owner has records and receipts for is a high priority item.

Mark

mrmamiller

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also called 465, 480, 485, 3.7, 3.7LX Run away Run Away!

So, are these motors just dogs from a performance standpoint or are they maintenance problems (bad repair history)? One of the prospective boats has a 3.7, but the boat should be light (17 1/2 foot fiberglass).

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

So, are these motors just dogs from a performance standpoint or are they maintenance problems (bad repair history)? One of the prospective boats has a 3.7, but the boat should be light (17 1/2 foot fiberglass).

Constant maintenance problems

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... They'll run like a scolded dog, til they Don't,...

That's when the misery begins,...

They have a History of problematic issues,...
Mercruiser created 'em, 'n dropped 'em, Years, 'n Years ago,...
The quite common part number is NLA,...