Re: Pontoon Boat Mooring Options

dmendel

Recruit

Am reviving this thread because I need some similar advice, only my situation is slightly different.

I need suggestions for mooring my 21? Sweetwater pontoon boat to fixed dock in an inland lake with moderate wake activity (from pleasure boat traffic). These are my limitations:

- The dock is 16 x 16 feet.
- The boat can only be moored in one spot ? along the end of the dock (east side) facing the lake, with boat orientated north-south. This is the most exposed location. The boat traffic runs north-south, and there are regular north and south winds along the lake.
- The cleats on the boat deck are about 17 feet apart. In other words the cleats extend slightly beyond the length of the dock itself. They cannot be located anywhere else given the design of the boat.
- Any mooring solution must accommodate the mooring cover.
- The dock is located off a rather steep rocky shoreline. A boat lift or ramp with a winch to get boat out of the water is not an option.

I have just installed Dock Edge mooring whips and though they cannot be installed to spec (which requires the cleats on the boat to line up with the whip base ? in my situation they flare ever so slightly out), it seemed within tolerance, so I gave it a try. They do the job perfectly when there is no wind. It handled large wakes from passing boats just fine. But with a strong northern or southern wind it seems to put a lot of stress on the whips. More important, I discovered that the whips cannot be used with the bimini canopy up (the canopy interferes with the lines) and ? even more important ? the lines cannot be attached with the mooring cover on. That?s basically a non-starter.

I am now investigating docking arms and would appreciate some suggestions.

Other options I have investigated will not work because of the cleat placement on the boat deck and/or length of the dock. These include:

- Dock Edge mooring arms: the dock is not long enough. They have to be mounted 24? more then the length between boat cleats.

- Pontoon mooring arms (Pontoon Mooring Arms) and brackets (American Muscle Docks & Fabrication — Pontoon Mooring Bracket) that attach to the ends of the pontoons: will not work because the dock is not long enough.

- Wake Watchers mooring arms: will not work because of the length of the dock and the location of cleats on the boat. It needs to be installed 18? more than the length between the cleats.

- SlideMoor system: will not work because of the cleat placement on the boat and length of the dock.

Possible options I have come across:

Moor King arms
Stowaway Holdaway (which looks rather cheap)

I once came across some sturdy arms that looked like giant shock absorbers, but I have googled and can?t seem to find them.

Any advice is appreciated.

rogerwa

Commander

What is the water depth and the lake bottom?

There are two other options, one is cheap and the other one expensive.

Cheap: Install into the lake bed addtional dock poles out from each end of the dock and install dock fenders on those poles. They can be used as additonal mooring line anchors. You could also install poles on the lake side of the boat and tie it up suspended between the poles. This is assuming the lake depth and bottom would support driving poles into it.

Expensive: Pontoon lift or Sea legs. Again assuming the depth and bottom can accomodate.

dmendel

Recruit

What is the water depth and the lake bottom?

There are two other options, one is cheap and the other one expensive.

Cheap: Install into the lake bed addtional dock poles out from each end of the dock and install dock fenders on those poles. They can be used as additonal mooring line anchors. You could also install poles on the lake side of the boat and tie it up suspended between the poles. This is assuming the lake depth and bottom would support driving poles into it.

Expensive: Pontoon lift or Sea legs. Again assuming the depth and bottom can accomodate.

Good idea, but unfortunately it won't work. The depth drops off sharply from the shore and is very rocky. It is not possible to install dock poles or lift on the shore anywhere along my property. The dock is currently sitting on a 8x8 crib loaded with large rocks. Also local regulations (in western Quebec) would not allow it. I am stuck with the current dock configuration.

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What about a side lift that mounts to the dock poles?

Malibu Rudder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It sounds like you have many challenges with your current docking situation. However, is it possible to have an upholstery shop adapt your current mooring cover to accommodate your mooring whips/lines? It does not sound like this would solve all the challenges but would definitely be a start.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Why not install 2 additional cleats on the 'toon?

dmendel

Recruit

What about a side lift that mounts to the dock poles?

Unfortunately, there are no dock poles. The dock is mounted to a crib.

It sounds like you have many challenges with your current docking situation. However, is it possible to have an upholstery shop adapt your current mooring cover to accommodate your mooring whips/lines? It does not sound like this would solve all the challenges but would definitely be a start.

Excellent idea, and I may have to do that eventually. But I am still not crazy about the whips. Something like the Moor King arms, if they can work in my situation, would be preferable. I can't have the bimini top up with the whips attached, and they also make it difficult to get on and off the boat, especially for my 81-year-old mother-in-law.

Why not install 2 additional cleats on the 'toon?

Can't be done given the design of the boat. See the photo below, with cleat location indicated. (Note that this is a slightly larger model than mine -- I don't have the starboard door -- but the design and cleat placement is identical.) FYI, the cleat placement is even less optimal on the port side.

sweetwater07.jpg

If anyone has experience with mooring arms I mentioned, or know of some that I am not aware of, I would welcome feedback.

Thanks for the comments.

pfatyol

Recruit

Could you install a anochor and mooring on the lake side with a bridle to apply pressure to hold the pontoon off the dock?