Wheres my thermostat housing check balls?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Wheres my balls?

before I get into the outdrive and change the impeller, i read on another forum about two balls connected by a nut and a spring that you can tighten and maybe fix the problem

You don't have those on a 3.0L engine, only on the V6 and V8 engines.

The impeller is the first thing you check in any marine overheat problem. Old impellers with permanently bent over blades don't pump much at idle, but can work ok at higher rpm.

Last edited:

SirSmegalot

Cadet

oh thanks

so its impeller time? Just as I paid for 3 month slip rental at the weekend!
Anyone got a good writeup?

tpenfield

Staff member

You don't have those on a 3.0L engine, only on the V6 and V8 engines.

The impeller is the first thing you check in any marine overheat problem. Old impellers with permanently bent over blades don't pump much at idle, but can work ok at higher rpm.

So, what you are saying is that a 3.0 has no balls . . . :D

SirSmegalot

Cadet

well, it kinda doesnt lol

thanks for the info!

SirSmegalot

Cadet
Re: Wheres my thermostat housing check balls?

Last question,

Are all Alpha one impellers the same?

mercruiser alpha one impeller | eBay

I really cant afford the time out of the water to take it apart, check the number if there is one, put it back, order, take it out.....etc

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Depends on serial number. If the drive serial number is below 0D469859, then the right part number is 47-89984T4, if it's above that serial number, the impeller number is 47-43026-2. Just remember to buy the gaskets too...

Chris......

SirSmegalot

Cadet

Depends on serial number. If the drive serial number is below 0D469859, then the right part number is 47-89984T4, if it's above that serial number, the impeller number is 47-43026-2. Just remember to buy the gaskets too...

Chris......

cheers! I'll buy the whole kit, I found a youtube video showing how to do this and the .pdf from this thread should make it clear.
I just hope to god that fixes it, in the meantime ill put up with the problem

SirSmegalot

Cadet

Chris......

As far as I could read it - my serial number says: 0866589

so........... huh?

I suppose its possible thats D866589?

Don S

The OD866589 number is for an Alpha I Gen II, in your original post you said you had an Alpha I so that is what I gave you information on. I assumed you knew what you had. I assumed wrong, figures.:facepalm: Even a year would have helped a little bit, unless you have a 91, then it could be either.

If you aren't sure what you have, post some pictures or look at the pictures in the link below and figure out what you have.
Miscellaneous Mercruiser Information?/ 329915

SirSmegalot

Cadet

The OD866589 number is for an Alpha I Gen II, in your original post you said you had an Alpha I so that is what I gave you information on. I assumed you knew what you had. I assumed wrong, figures.:facepalm: Even a year would have helped a little bit, unless you have a 91, then it could be either.

If you aren't sure what you have, post some pictures or look at the pictures in the link below and figure out what you have.
Miscellaneous Mercruiser Information*/ 329915

Im sorry, it may surprise you to know this is my first boat LOL :facepalm:
I bought this from a guy with no information about it, year, make, anything

Anyway - I have more if this doesnt tell you, and thanks for tolerating my ignorance

http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m630/SirSmegalot/BOAT/IMG_0862.jpg

Don S

It's for sure not an Alpha I Gen II. It's a R, MR, or Alpha I. Does your boat have a year? Did you look at the link I posted?

SirSmegalot

Cadet

It's for sure not an Alpha I Gen II. It's a R, MR, or Alpha I. Does your boat have a year? Did you look at the link I posted?

I will when i get home tonight, that site is blocked from work
It does say Alpha one on it though, you can just about make it out in that pic on top
I'll post more pics later

Don S

You can't tell the difference between an R, MR, or Alpha I from the outside. For that you need serial numbers.
Once you can open and look at that link you will understand.

SirSmegalot

Cadet

You can't tell the difference between an R, MR, or Alpha I from the outside. For that you need serial numbers.
Once you can open and look at that link you will understand.

I managed to get that open so.........

Page 3 - 3.0L GM says 87/88/89 A (alpha one)

Serial number D866589 hmmmmmmmm im pretty certain its 83-90 which it says 6225577 thru OD469828
Well the numbers dont make sense there but it should narrow it down to R/MR/Alpha one
So far, its looking like an alpha one

Page 19 - flat top, squared off anti ventilation plate, 83 and newer, well i knew that
Skeg straight no curved - R/MR/Alpha 1

I think its looking pretty good for an Alpha one then
Are the impellers that different it was an MR?

Don S

The impellers and the pump kits are the same.

Did you look at the file I posted in reply #4 ????? obviously not. People post links to things for a reason ya know.

SirSmegalot

Cadet

The impellers and the pump kits are the same.

Did you look at the file I posted in reply #4 ????? obviously not. People post links to things for a reason ya know.

I sure did and I will be using that thank you very much Don and others
(although im still confused why my serial number is D866589 and its not a gen 2)

SirSmegalot

Cadet

well well, I think I found the culprit alright
Again, thanks for the help and your patience, especially 'chrisa660' great video mate!

I DID put the o-ring back on the top of the shaft though. In your video you say dont do that because water might get past it if its not straight. But if it isnt there at all surely water will DEFinitely get past it right?

impellers.jpg

Last edited: