Starboard Manifold hotter than Port side, brand new manifolds and risers

Recently had a hydrolocked 4.3L Merc (600 hours) due to 1 piece manifolds. (see previous posts)
changed to a 2 piece set (thank you iboats)
After change, Boat had a LOT of steam coming from exhaust and the starboard side manifold was extremely hot, the port side was just hot. (Engine Temp gauge stayed around 130 degrees... normal)

So I changed the impeller. Steam problem went away and the manifolds cooled down.. however
The starboard is still significantly hotter than the port side. (Port side is even "cool". Starboard, can hardly lay hand on it)

Even before, on the old manifolds... it had that issue. Starboard side was always hotter than the other side. I assumed that was normal at the time (and it may be normal now)
Again, boat is running good, and I am getting No steam from exhaust and temperature is good on engine.

Should I worry about this manifold being hotter?
I thought I might have a blockage due to impeller debris... but the impeller that i changed was only torn on bottom slightly... no large chunks missing.

I've read some about the flaps breaking down. Not sure what "good" flaps are supposed to look like next to "bad" flaps.
When I did this replacement, the flaps in the pipes were not blocking any flow? not sure of the terminology to use to describe the way they were... if even that makes a difference.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Starboard Manifold hotter than Port side, brand new manifolds and risers

Recently had a hydrolocked 4.3L Merc (600 hours) due to 1 piece manifolds. (see previous posts)
changed to a 2 piece set (thank you iboats)
After change, Boat had a LOT of steam coming from exhaust and the starboard side manifold was extremely hot, the port side was just hot. (Engine Temp gauge stayed around 130 degrees... normal)

So I changed the impeller. Steam problem went away and the manifolds cooled down.. however
The starboard is still significantly hotter than the port side. (Port side is even "cool". Starboard, can hardly lay hand on it)

Even before, on the old manifolds... it had that issue. Starboard side was always hotter than the other side. I assumed that was normal at the time (and it may be normal now)
Again, boat is running good, and I am getting No steam from exhaust and temperature is good on engine.

Should I worry about this manifold being hotter?
I thought I might have a blockage due to impeller debris... but the impeller that i changed was only torn on bottom slightly... no large chunks missing.

I've read some about the flaps breaking down. Not sure what "good" flaps are supposed to look like next to "bad" flaps.
When I did this replacement, the flaps in the pipes were not blocking any flow? not sure of the terminology to use to describe the way they were... if even that makes a difference.

Ayuh,.... Generally speakin', one side Always runs hotter than the other, 'n usually the starboard side,...

If the T-stat housin' is Clear, I'd run it, 'n see how she does,...