flywheel leaking. 3.0L merc...

sti1471

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a leak on my engine that I discovered recently. This leaks when it is hooked up to the water muffs. It is not a bad leak, it is a steady drip give or take.

There is oil in the bilge bay and I am not sure where this is coming from. The fuel pump was leaking oil around it, but I installed a new gasket and that seems to have fixed that. I cleaned out the bilge bay, but maybe I missed some. However I think it is still leaking oil from somewhere. However the water that drips from the flywheel cover is clear water so I am not sure on the oil. Anyways, I am thinking it may be the core plug, but I would think the leak would be heavier.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• drip.jpg
    drip.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Re: flywheel leaking. 3.0L merc...

I have a leak on my engine that I discovered recently. This leaks when it is hooked up to the water muffs. It is not a bad leak, it is a steady drip give or take.

There is oil in the bilge bay and I am not sure where this is coming from. The fuel pump was leaking oil around it, but I installed a new gasket and that seems to have fixed that. I cleaned out the bilge bay, but maybe I missed some. However I think it is still leaking oil from somewhere. However the water that drips from the flywheel cover is clear water so I am not sure on the oil. Anyways, I am thinking it may be the core plug, but I would think the leak would be heavier.

Thoughts?

Ayuh,.... The only source of water in there is the core plugs,...

They can be dis-lodged in varyin' degrees of leakin',...

Pull the motor, 'n fix it,... yer starter ain't gonna last very long otherwise,... Starters don't like Swimmin',...

sti1471

Petty Officer 1st Class

any idea as to where the oil is coming from?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Oil could be trim, motor or drive.

smassey22180

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also, check for a rusted out timing cover. Common oil leak on old 3.0Ls