1983 johnson 25hp alarm from controlbox

aprilrose

Seaman Apprentice
engine was involved (lol- from my driveway) in 2011 flood. boat trailer motor all went floating on it's own sat,from Sept to May 2012 put back in driveway barrel of water rough start but it did start ran 3-4 minutes first time i ever knew of or a warning sound from control box shut down added water ran more 5-8 minutes shut down back into storage not on water since early 2011 2013 take out of storage barrel water (paying attention to amount,I thought ) alarm goes off 2nd or 3rd startup 3-4 minutes each (filled the darn barrel 40 gallons probably) runs 2-3 minutes then alarm Question water pump/thermostat dirt mud debri who knows where ? 2nd question starts everytime changed plugs 2013 But primer bulb hard when starting goes soft rather quickly when engine slooows down to stall pump up statrts fine so starts runs alarms good firm prime then soggy prime any ideas johnson 25hp long shaft electric start 1983

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: 1983 johnson 25hp alarm from controlbox

Wow sounds like that boat has been dwindling on fate! Multiple questions here. If the bulb softens up when running, dies out, but picks back up when pumping the bulb, then you need to rebuild the fuel pump. This motor is premix correct? Now if the alarm is going off after running for a few minutes you have a water flow issue, as you guessed. Id drop the lower unit, inspect/replace the waterpump, then run a hose up into the water input line and let her rip. If water is making its way back around to the exhaust, good sign. Next pull out the thermostat, and either inspect (drop in pot of water, thermometer, should open up at 140 degrees-ish.) or replace it. You could also (for testing sake) pull the thermo out and fire it up, see if the alarm cuts back on.

Sidenote: Sounds dumb, but your barrel isn't emptying itself out, restricting water is it?

aprilrose

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1983 johnson 25hp alarm from controlbox

thanks for the reply so quickly will be checking the above will keep you posted on status sutor623 fuel pump water pump thermostat got ya