Bahamas crossing

kimden5

Recruit
What's the smallest power boat that could be used to make a safe crossing to the Bahamas from Florida's east coast in reasonably good weather condtions?

agallant80

Commander
Re: Bahamas crossing

I think you may find this is a bit of a loaded question. Its not about what the safest is to cross in ideal conditions its about what the minimum would be if things go bad. You can cross in anything you like. I read about people taking 17" center consoles and jetskis over. If you do decide to make the crossing in a smaller boat see if you can connect with some people planning on making the trip. Every weekend dozens of people make the run.

kfa4303

Banned

Hi kim, yeah, it's a bit of a loaded question as agallant80 said. There are groups that routinely make the crossing in jet skis, while others do it in 100'+ luxury yachts. While you probably "could" do it in a boat of virtually any size, I wouldn't do it anything less than a 16'-18' boat with an extremely reliable engine and competent captain who has made the run a few times before. While the distance itself isn't very far you do cross some blue water. Preparation and experience are key. Make the run a couple times following someone who has done it before, then see if y'all can trade positions on another trip, or on the way back so you can gain some experience under a watchful eye. It goes without saying that you should of course have a float plan and check the weather religiously before you head out.

agallant80

Commander

Here are a few other things to consider.

1. Fuel over there is very expensiave and some of the marinas are out. Fill up as soon as you can when you can.
2. Weather on the way back may keep you there for an extra day or two.

There is a tonne of information on the net about this. Just google Bahamas boat crossing.