1984 60hp chrysler/ one cylinder not running

brownksee

Cadet
Bought the boat a couple weeks ago. sounds good on the muffs. pulled lower unit to change impeller. while pulling unit I couldnt get the shift rod unhooked. getting a little rough with the linkaged oil started to run down the side of the motor?? not sure where that came from!? so after getting that job put back together..started it up on muffs and it sounded ok...alittle miss here and there. but we had good water flow and the gears worked..so we hit the lake.

right off the trailer i had a hard time starting it. smelled flooded, so i unhook the gas line till it finally fired up. hooked line back up and away we go...way under powered! chuggin along wont stay running at idle. pulled the top plug wire while running and no differance..switched out the bottom cylinder plug and wire..still nothing out of top cylinder. checked for spark..good in both plugs.

Going to stop and get a compression tester after work. might try and spray some fuel into the carb and see if the carb is the problem.

as u can see..not a good start to this new purchase!! lol

oh and whats the difference between the usual plugs that u can gap and the other flat ones that u see in most marine motors. I went to buy new plugs and the ones they have in the motor now are flat ends and the ones in the book are like car plugs? wonder which ones are supposed to be in it??

brownksee

Cadet
Re: 1984 60hp chrysler/ one cylinder not running

didnt have time to pick up a compression tester, but I did just tinker around with it last night. while running on the bottom cylinder i can spray fuel in the top carb with no reaction to the motor. pulled the plug and it has plenty of bright blue arcing spark. I have no way of testing how good the spark.

I still plan on doing a compression test after work hopefully..but I have a feeling the outcome is going to be a dead cylinder...how big of a deal is it to re ring

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

L-20V is the plug you need.
After the comp test.
Check the fuel pump diaphram,post a pic of the fuel pump mounting.
Clean the carb.
Air screw setting is one turn out for inital setting.
Hoses need replacing.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If you smelled gasoline, have spark, and it did fire when you removed the fuel line, then it is a reasonable assumption that the top carb is flooding. Especially when there is no change when you manually flood that cylinder by squirting in gas and there is no change.

Simply remove the carbs, disassemble them and clean well, and reassemble being certain the float level is correct. The float should be level with the carb casting with the carb upside-down. Check the needle and seat to be certain they are sealing when the float rises. invert the carb and try to blow through the fuel inlet. The weight of the float should seal, making it impossible to blow through.

Of course, run a compression check just to see the overall health of the engine. 140 would be a high number although some of them went up to 160 PSI.

brownksee

Cadet

thanks for the tips guys! really appreciate it! Ill post up some picture tonight. Gatta get this thing running right...wifes giving me chit for buying a lemon! cant have that!!

brownksee

Cadet

Compression in both cylinders 150 psi. Took carb apart and adjusted float a little on the low side just in case it was hanging open. With float shut I can not blow through it. Still nothing out of top cylinder. Swapped coils. Still nothing out of top cylinder. While running I can pull top plug wire and it doesn't change the sound of motor. If I leave the top and pull the bottom plug wire the engine dies.

Good compression. Good spark. Got fuel. Why isn't it running right!

brownksee

Cadet

Any suggestions? I was happy to see the compression was good on both cylinders! So thus has to be something simple I'm missing. Could a reed problem cause the top carb to flood out the cylinder? Maybe that's my next check.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Is this a Magna-Power II ignition? Post a couple of photos of the engine with the cover off please.

As a Hail Mary move, try a new set of different brand spark plugs. Sometimes--and it is rare-- even a new set of plugs will spark in open air but not under compression.

brownksee

Cadet

Couple of pictures I snapped last night. After watching the carb tutorial I'm going to deep clean them. Add a in line filter. Make sure all is adjusted right and go from there.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Well, you have the Prestolite ignition, which is way better than the Magna-Power II. And, that engine was probably the best design Chrysler made--quite powerful fir a regular 2 cylinder cross flow engine.

However, I simply can not see anything obviously wrong .

If, as you say you are seeing a bright blue spark on the top cylinder, then it should be sparking while running. Again, though you still may have a bad CD box. Unfortunately, your system has hard wired quick-connect fittings and it is not easily possible to switch cylinders to see if the problem now is on the bottom cylinder, thus pointing at the cd box.

Try running the engine out of fuel. THEN, squirt fuel into the top cylinder only. If it does not fire, then for sure you have an electrical problem

brownksee

Cadet

Well, you have the Prestolite ignition, which is way better than the Magna-Power II. And, that engine was probably the best design Chrysler made--quite powerful fir a regular 2 cylinder cross flow engine.

However, I simply can not see anything obviously wrong .

If, as you say you are seeing a bright blue spark on the top cylinder, then it should be sparking while running. Again, though you still may have a bad CD box. Unfortunately, your system has hard wired quick-connect fittings and it is not easily possible to switch cylinders to see if the problem now is on the bottom cylinder, thus pointing at the cd box.

Try running the engine out of fuel. THEN, squirt fuel into the top cylinder only. If it does not fire, then for sure you have an electrical problem

Thanks!

Actually the CD box has quick disconnects for the coil wires. In the picture the top coil is hooked to the bottom plug and the bottom coil is hooked to top. I switch them to check for a bad coil or cd box. Got the same result, top cylinder was dead.

Tonight i will try your suggestion on the fuel. Im really leaned tward a carb problem. Ill post pics and results soon. Thanks again!!

brownksee

Cadet

and when u say cross flow engine...does the top carb run the top cylinder?? cause thats the carb iv been messing with the whole time...I havnt touched the bottom one. Thanks

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

In your engine, each carb feeds the cylinder to which it is attached: Top to top and bottom to bottom.

Cross flow refers to gas flow through the cylinder versus loop charged: Cross flow is old school design with ports cut straight into the cylinder walls and a big baffle on the piston. Loop charged is a better design with ports cut into the cylinder walls at a angle to direct gas flow, a flat topped piston, and a hemispherical combustion chamber. generally speaking, loop charged engines produce more power per cubic inch and require much less timing advance (around 18 degrees at wide open throttle)

brownksee

Cadet

wow..thanks for the lesson! Im learning more and more each day i spend on iboats!! :thumb:

Nordin

Commander

Check the reedvalvs, if one pedal is broken you got problem with the actual cyl. It fires but no power.
They are mounted in the manifold just behind the carbs.

Maybe you have a bad uper crankshaftseal.
This will cause no overpressure in the crankcase and the top cyl. will not have any fuel/air mixture.
You will have same problem with a broken reedpedal.

brownksee

Cadet

Check the reedvalvs, if one pedal is broken you got problem with the actual cyl. It fires but no power.
They are mounted in the manifold just behind the carbs.

Maybe you have a bad uper crankshaftseal.
This will cause no overpressure in the crankcase and the top cyl. will not have any fuel/air mixture.
You will have same problem with a broken reedpedal.

if you look in the last picture, there is oil/fuel running down the transom mount and lower unit..will a bad seal cause this or is the crank seal internal? I think its strange im getting all this over flow fuel all over

Nordin

Commander

Did not actually notice that pic. If you are thinking the cyl. is flooding check for spark with a timinglight. Spark with the sparkplug out does not indicate spark with it in.
A bad uper crankseal would not cause flooding but if you have run out of causes, why not check the seal and the pedals.
Theory and practic does not harm all the time.

brownksee

Cadet

ok. heres where im at. Did a spark test and the blue arc will travel around 20m on the gauge. seems good. took the carbs off and cleaned. adjusted floats. made sure on both carbs i can not blow through them when float is closed.

added an inline fuel filter.

I know im having a fuel problem cause while running there is a cloudy film coming out the exhaust. while shut off i can squeeze the fuel bulb till it get a bit firm...but if i keep mild pressure on the bulb it will loose pressure, and allow fuel to run out the exhaust. is this normal?