Trailer Hub replacement

Procraft Bob

Cadet
Folks:
I have a 1994 Procraft 17' boat and trailer. One of the wheels has significant slop and wiggle in the wheel. I took it off and realize I need to replace hub, not just bearings because of more damage. Comparing it to the other side (which is still good) I see the inner bearing is pushed way further back into the actual hub, (about 3/4", where the good one is only about 1/4" recessed beyond the grease seal) and consequently, it cannot tighten on the axle enough to take out the slop. The inner race for the bearing is also loose in the hub suggesting further wear/damage. I'm sure due to that wear/damage it's more than just replacing the bearings. And for the price of a new hub kit, it's worth the cost to be safe.

Now I need to order a replacement hub kit. Unfortunately, I don't know what the key measurement is on the hub to order the proper "Hub replacement kit" and it seems the helpful folks at Iboats parts don't either. They (she, but I don't stereotype) just seemed to be guessing at the part. Key facts are: Total outside measure of the hub is 6-1/2" OD. Part number on the hub is H1000, with an AF8 symbol and it's 5 bolt. Inside Diameter of the hub opening is 2", as is the buddy bearing cap. ID of the outer bearing is 1-1/16", and OD of same is 1-7/8." It "appears" that I need a Marpac (81089) 5 stud 1-1/16" STR replacement kit, but I sure hate to order it and find it's the wrong part.

Anyone know the key to the mystery of what measurement to use? Only relationship I see to the proposed kit is the ID of the bearing, and I have no idea what STR stands for. Can that be it? Any/all help appreciated. And thanks for the help you all so kindly offered the last repair job on my fuel gauge. You folks are the best and a great resource.

Procraft Bob

P.S. Axle is fine fortunately. I put the good hub/bearings on the troubled side and all works good.

Last edited:

57crestliner

Seaman
Re: Trailer Hub replacement

Inner race, outer race. Dimension between. This is pretty much what your axle needs. The hub needs to fit your wheel. Bolt circle size.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

With your inner bearing is recessed as much as you say, the race is gone or shattered. Wipe all the grease off the bearings and see if there are any other numbers. STR doesn't mean much, I'm afraid. You could take the bearings and/or hub to a trailer shop - they should be able to match them up for you.

Procraft Bob

Cadet

Inner race, outer race. Dimension between. This is pretty much what your axle needs. The hub needs to fit your wheel. Bolt circle size.

Seaman:

Thanks for your help. I was finally able to speak a knowledgeable rep. at a supply store who coached me to look for a "taper" (or not) on the axle, suggesting a larger inner bearing than outer bearing. That's did it. It was clear to me then that I had the taper, and therefore needed the 1-3/8" x 1-1/16" hub kit. I found it on the shelf at a local Tractor supply for about the same money I would have paid for it from an on-line supplier with shipping costs. I fixed it when I brought it home yesterday. I'm back on/in the water. Again, thanks.

Procraft Bob

Cadet

Admiral:

Thanks for your help. I was finally able to speak a knowledgeable rep. at a supply store who coached me to look for a "taper" (or not) on the axle, suggesting a larger inner bearing than outer bearing. That's did it. It was clear to me then that I had the taper, and therefore needed the 1-3/8" x 1-1/16" hub kit. I found it on the shelf at a local Tractor supply for about the same money I would have paid for it from an on-line supplier with shipping costs. I fixed it when I brought it home yesterday. I'm back on/in the water. Again, thanks.