Prop for 217 Stratos tiller

M Kanak

Cadet
Hi there,<br /> I just stumbled onto this forum recently and and impressed by the knowledge and enthusiasm shown by so many. Hopefully someone can help me out. I picked up a '92 Stratos 217 tiller with a '92, 85 HP Envirude Back-troller, Model #E85TTEND,Ser #G 03102087. It is kind of a refugee from the walleye circuit, though my interest is more like taking my kids fishing. The motor runs well enough, dynoing @ 93 Hp.With the boat I got 2 props, a 13.75 x 18" pitch, and a 15" pitch, both stainless. My search is for the proper prop. The 18" mis-guided attempt at speed,the 15" a little better.Hole shot is dismal with a full live-well, WOT 4500 RPM or less,5200 RPM empty. Switching to a trial 14 x 13 pitch Aluminum was a big improvement. 5500 WOT with full livewell. Hole shot is better but still could improve. Where do I go from here? 11" stainless? I would eventually like to run a stainless. Also the stepped hull has me guessing about motor height. The boat also came with a set of Dol-fins that don't seem to do anything, mostly because they are out of the water. Thx in advance, very helpful forum.<br /> Mike

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Prop for 217 Stratos tiller

Looks like you're heading in the right direction prop-wise. Also, the fins should be out of the water once you're on plane. They're just supposed to help you get out of the water. Good luck.

M Kanak

Cadet

DJ:<br /> That was quick! I took a quick look at the link and can see some potential there. The biggest single problem that I have is getting on plane quickly. I agree there is some room for RPM increase, and that is what I’m after. Now this next question might more properly directed to the manufacturer or distributor, but I’ve a hunch that you know more than a little about these tabs. Besides it’s evening and raining. There are couple different sizes that might work based on Hp and boat size, and then the bass boat variation. Is this a custom fit version? Also there is the matter of the stepped transom. Which step would they mount to? It could make difference to which would fit. Also what is the rule of thumb on motor height, 200 RPM per hole? Perhaps the 13” pitch that I have might be close to right. I would still like to run a stainless though.<br /><br /><br />Quantumleap:<br /> Thanks for your reply also. It seems that you agree then to the 11” stainless? I arrived at this using a prop calculator I found at or through this site. I do understand that the Doelfin (SP?) would run out of the water on plane, my confusion stems from the stepped transom. It seems that it would initially be behind the transom on take-off where it wouldn’t be helping either. I just mentioned it as something that has already been tried. On or removed it didn’t seem to make any difference. Bear in mind through that most of my boating experience has been with tin boats and I could easily be missing something obvious to yourself. Heck, a large part of my 2 stroke experience has been with snowmobiles but I would have to troll REAL fast. Lol. Anyways between the aluminum and stainless props I used about 1” correction. In your experience would this be close or does this only apply to the big motors? Thanks to both of you for your interest and help, it would sure be nice to nail this down quickly. Summers are too short!<br /> Mike

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

You need to end up with a prop that lets you run at the upper end of your recommended RPM range at WOT with the boat loaded in the manner it will be used most often. Check your manual to be sure of that range.

D

DJ

Dog leg,<br /><br />I only know, about the tabs, is what I have read here and the great testimonies of folks on this board.<br /><br />Start a seperate thread hailing "Nautijohn" (member # 29732). He is the Smart Tabs expert. He will be more than happy to assist you with your sizing questions.

M Kanak

Cadet

DJ,<br /> An inquiry to Nautijohn has already been sent, sizing and placement issues are being addressed and questions are being answered. Thanks for the tip. <br /> <br />Quantumleap,<br /> Your imput is likewise appreciated, Thanks also. Now if only it would quit raining. Mike

M Kanak

Cadet

Well tommorrow is the test! I installed the 1290 Smart-tabs today and weather permitting will take her out to Black-Strap; a little lake south of town. Everything is adjusted to middle positions and the prop will be the same 14 x13 pitch aluminum that I ran last. Fine tuning the prop can wait while I fine-tune the boat.<br /> I had to grit my teeth to drill 14 holes in the transom, and the job took considerably longer than 1 hour,more like 3. Most of that was due to having to modify my back-trolling splash guards, and having a helper would have been a bonus. I will post the results if and when the rain quits. Mike

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Thanks for the faith and i am waiting to here the results.

M Kanak

Cadet

Results will be a little delayed. Setup at minimum pressure and angle was starting to look pretty good when I tagged a rock reef this morning. Prop, skeg and bent shaft minimum, still assessing the damage. Ouch :( :( :( <br /> Mike

M Kanak

Cadet

Back on the water! :)Remind me to never do that again. I needed the prop shaft, gears, bearings,prop and the skeg welded up. Put in a new water pump while it was apart.Brought it home and found a crack in the transom part of the motor mount so had more delays. Went out today with my wife and kids to simulate the weight of half of my fishing tackle. :D <br /> The Smart-tabs have proved to be the answer. The WOT RPM increased to 5800 with a 13" prop and 5000 with a 15". Holeshot is nearly instant, which was the main issue. The difference in ride quality was startling. It is like having a different boat! Now I will run two props, the 13" for backtrolling and long lining and the 15" for running around the lake when using mainly the bowmount electric motor.Since I need a spare anyways this works out well.<br /> In addition I had seen so many mentions in this forum to using the proper (Champion) sparkplugs that I threw in a set gapped at 40 thou, as suggested for trolling. The difference is day and night! I never doubted iboats for a minute!<br /> Thanks to all<br /> Mike