found some cut wires

komrad

Cadet
today i pulled off my dash so i can look at the wires better, it looks like somone in the past replaced the ignition switch and it may have not been the orignal switch, i say that because the switch was pushing the circuit breaker over. and the harnes that went from the switch to the end/begining (depends on how you look at it) of the harness that went to everything else and the motor, had the black and blue wires cut on the ignition switch side.

i was looking at the wiring diagram and i do not see any blue wire or black wire that goes off the switch. also when i was looking at the back of the guage cluster i seen the black and purple wire that connects them all together and it shows up on the diagram, however there is a blue one as well that connects to them all and that does not show up on the wiring diagram. there are a few single wires mixed in but i see those on the diagram,

so i guess my question is what is the blue wires that also connects all the guages, and can anyone link what the actual ignition switch should look like and/or describe where thos two (black and blue) wires should be connected on the switch.

thanks

oh yea the boat is a 89 baretta with volvo aq131d. if you need a picture of what im talking about lemme know and ill go take one, had to stop for now started to rain on me this morning

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: found some cut wires

A picture would be very helpful because not all boats have color coordinated wiring. On my gauges, the blue wire that jumps across all the gauges is for the gauge lighting. Time to get a meter and start figuring out what's going on.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The blue wires should be for the lights in the gauges.
Normally a purple wire comes off the I terminal of the coil and goes to an on/off switch that puts power to the lights.

There should be no black wires at all on the ignition switch.

Pictures would be very handy.

komrad

Cadet

sorry for the late response, been busy with work and just got off and went out and took some pictures may not be the best but here they are.
here is the key switch

here is the harness off the key switch

here is the two cut wires from the harness to the keyswitch

here is the harness on the back of the guage cluster that the key switch plugs into

hope that this help you guys under stand what im talking about