Need '45 Sea King parts diagram.

Fontanaman

Seaman
I am putting a 1945 Sea King 5hp back together and could use a parts diagram mostly for the lower unit. I believe I may be missing some kind of retainer or bushing that the crankshaft passes through at the top of the gear case. I haven't had much luck locating official info on this motor, but I know it was pretty popular. Any help is appreciated.<br /><br />Adam

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: Need '45 Sea King parts diagram.

You may have to buy a service manual, unless someone can share that diagram from theirs. Do web search for "Ken Cook marine manuals" to find how to get one...can be pricey though. Or try these guys: www.aomci.org at the ask a member board. They can answer a lot about your motor. I have an Intertech Publishing manual for motors under 30 hp that covers back to 55, I think. They have a website and the manual ain't too expensive. They also show up on ebay now and again. Good luck. Old Sea Kings rule!!

BillP

Captain

Your SeaKing may have been made by Merc and share parts with the KF5. SeaKing was actually the first motor that jump started the Merc empire. <br /><br />Grubbs Marine has manuals and exploded parts diagrams available for the Mercs. Link Grubbs through the AOMC web site or email OLDMERCS@aol.com. Toll free # 800-932-2871. Very good folks to deal with.<br /><br />www.oldmercs.com

Fontanaman

Seaman

Thanks for the replies. Tim, I have the intertec manual also and it is very good, but this thing is a 45. It is made by Gale which of course is OMC. The lower unit on the '45 uses a grease fitting and grease to lube the gearcase and keeping water out doesn't seem to be a major part of the design. The driveshaft has a lot of play where it enters the top of the gearcase, which makes me think something should be there to keep it centered.<br /><br />Adam