1997 mercury 200hp fuel issue?

shankforce

Petty Officer 2nd Class
First a little info. I am running a 97 Mercury 200 HP offshore series 2 stroke carbed. Oil is mixed direct removed the injector system. Very little hours on the motor. Brand new plugs and brand new gas. The fuel bulb sometimes even before I run it seems to not get very hard but it runs well at idle. When I put the hammer down it gets on plane than boggs down to idle speed or shuts off completely when it does this the fuel bulb collaps flat and seem to barely suck fuel. I run the motor on a 1998 campion explorer 622 wa. I do not know where the fuel tank anti siphon valve is. I never had this issue before. I tried a differnt fuel bulb same effect they both seemed to work but are both old and could both be bad who knows.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1997 mercury 200hp fuel issue?

Use a small portable fuel tank and see if that works. Since you said the bulb was sucked flat this should solve the problem, at least in getting it running right. The fuel tank location and access is a different issue. The anti siphon valve should be mounted on the tank.

I may be at Campion on Thursday of this week, .

carholme

Rear Admiral

The anti siphon should be located between the fuel tank outlet and the engine inlet connection. If you want to test it, the best way is to hook up a separate 5 gallon tank to the engine, run it and see what happens.

Secondly is the cheapo aftermarket primer bulbs. Always use the Quicksilver:

http://www.marinemechanic.com/merc/distributors/mercurymarine/outboard/fuelrestrictiontesting.PDF

Third is to check that the fuel pump is not the problem. With a known good primer bulb, run the engine and when the bogging occurs, have another person on the bulb, ready to start squeezing as soon as the bog starts. If the engine picks up and runs well, you have an idea that the pump may need a new kit.

Or you could test per the manual. If you provide your s/n, I probably have a manual that I can send you if you PM me with an email address.

Gerry

shankforce

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Use a small portable fuel tank and see if that works. Since you said the bulb was sucked flat this should solve the problem, at least in getting it running right. The fuel tank location and access is a different issue. The anti siphon valve should be mounted on the tank.

I may be at Campion on Thursday of this week, .

Campion is a nice hull. kind of like a Canadian version of a Grady. I think the Antisiphon is on the gas tank top should be easy to find I will check that first. I did replace the fuel shut off valve a couple years ago because the old one did not click so it was hard to know if you were on right. I hope there is not a aditional valve in that. I am kind of doubting it is the fuel pump but you never know hopefully it is the check valve. I am buying a new line mine is a little odd when they installed the motor they ran the line direct to the fuel pump with no connector. I did have a quick silver bulb on there it was getting soft so I put a Attwood one on that was fairly new from my trolling motor that I got rid of. I will try and buy the merc one.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I came very close to getting one of those a couple of years ago, I really like them. Just had too many boats to justify getting another one.